Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Pretty URL Problem with Wordpress and Solution

ManagerManager New
edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Howdy Guys,

First let me welcome myself, as I am new and this is my first post :)

After researching on various Forum Software's, I finally choose Vanilla as the final destination. I Install Vanilla today, and while trying to enable pretty url, I face a 404 error...

I search the forum and almost read all thread and seems there was no solution, So I did alot of experiments and spend the whole day figuring it out

Luckily, the solution is working for me, I don't know whether it's permanent or not (I would love if some Guru chime in and give feedback) ...

What am I using?

Site Running: Wordpress Vanilla Forum: Sub Directory (/forum) cPanel Version 11.34.2 Apache version 2.2.23 PHP version 5.2.17 MySQL version 5.5.23-55 Operating system linux

File Edited for the Solution:

Forum/Conf/config.php
Forum/.htaccess

Let's first make the changes in .htaccess file:

The Default looks something like this:

# Original # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified RewriteEngine On # Certain hosts may require the following line. # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum) # RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

The Modified looks something like this:

# Modified # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified RewriteEngine On # Certain hosts may require the following line. # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum) RewriteBase /forum RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]

Now, let's make the changes in config.php file:

The Default looks something like this:

//Garden

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = FALSE;

The Modified looks something like this:

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

Hope the solution works for you too.
Chao ..