Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Air Conditioning Woes

KrakKrak New
edited June 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Anyone here in the HVAC industry? Someone know some stuff? I live in a new house, like 2 years old. Two separate HVAC units, one downstairs, one upstairs. Both off different thermostats, but they use the same condenser (big fan box thing outside?). Up until yesterday they worked great. Downstairs still works great. Upstairs, my room of course, doesn't work so great anymore. I doesn't come on after about noon anymore, just shuts off. The thermostat says its on, but I hear nothing, I feel nothing. After about 9pm it might kick back on. The breakers are all good, nothing else is wrong in the house. I can't even get the fan to come on without the AC. It has been in the triple digits all week. 102 degrees has been about the lowest, was 108 today, and the heat is suppose to continue. You think its just shutting down because the attic is getting too hot? I've been here last year when it was hot, 100+ for three weeks straight and it ran like a champ. And the downstairs unit still works, its on right now. Help me. It's hot.

Comments

• Options
    blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR__gRs-tlQ (sorry, I couldn't resist)
  • Options
    Funny. I was just reading an article on how bad air conditioning is for the environment. It doesn't really get that hot in Scotland though, so I'm biased :)
  • Options
    I'm not a HVAC tech, but I have been known to take the cover off my thermostat. I've even watched the apartment tech fill the units with freon. (OK, the non-freon.) Is it one of those computerized thermostats with a clock? (probably, if its a new house) Check for a 'energy saver' setting that turns itself off while you are 'out at work'. Failing that, look for a reset button. Troubleshooter in me says to swap the thermostats and see if the problem moves downstairs.
  • Options
    My in-laws called the builders of the house, and they sent out the HVAC guys that put the system in. They came out and added freon. Said its a dual system so run them both, and left. Unfortunately I was at work when they came out, so I could not ask the guy questions myself. That is the reason I am left with. The AC is working today, but it is also no longer over 100 degrees.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Wait, I thought freon was illegal if not insanely expensive to still purchase due to environmental issues.
  • Options
    Hmm? We didn't pay for anything, it is still under warranty. Expensive you say? When I worked at an auto parts warehouse we sold freon for auto A/C's. It was like $37 for a 5 pound tank of the stuff. I wouldn't say thats too expensive? And it did say Freon on the side, so..
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Odd, I could have sworn that stuff was phased out completely.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon for anybody who enjoyed chemistry class. For everyone else, R-11 and R-12 freon has been banned in developed countries by the 1987 Montreal treaty, but is still illegially smuggled in from Mexico at a tenfold markup. Its use is still legal for medical use, and aviation fire suppression. Technically its still legal for existing AC equipment. R-134a is a reformulated freon, less stable so that it breaks down before reaching the ozone layer, sold legally in the US.
  • Options
    I understood like three words on that page. But thats it, R-134a, thats what I am talking about.... Sons a bitches!! Now my work truck AC is broken. WTF. I have had that thing "fixed" like four times in the past month. This is starting to get really irritating.
This discussion has been closed.