Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

New discussion notifications not coming in.

Self hosted. Using an smtp server under settings>outgoing emails.

When I register a test account, activation emails come through.... but the administrator doesn't get notified of new posts. I checked the checkboxes in the administrator's control panel, logged out/back in, cleared cache, etc..

Why would some emails come through but not others? Any idea on where to start to debug this, other than grep'ing the code to fix the bug?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

first step figure out what version of vanilla, you are using.

since you are self hosting - you could set up a fake php mailer and see if they are actually getting sent, or just not being received.

these may or may not help - don't know if you read through them.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=administrator+notifications

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Not sure what you mean by fake php mailer? I'm pretty sure Vanilla is not sending them at all, since some email from Vanilla come through (new registrations) and I also use lots of other email sending apps with that SMTP server just fine. Never hits spam, and the notifications didn't go to spam either.

I am using Version 2.0.18.8 and I read a few of those threads.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

pretty easy to set up.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20789/pretty-slick-mail-tester-for-developers

2.0.18.8 - advanced notifications have led to headaches (duplicates,etc)for many people - if this what you used, I would avoid it, if it were me.

you could also check github for any problems with notifications.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@joshribakoff said:
    Any idea on where to start to debug this, other than grep'ing the code to fix the bug?

Turn on Debug mode in conf/config.php now you can echo code when $Debug is True.

There is a difference between new registrations and new discussions notifications. You need to figure out where those notifications are triggered

Pretty interested in piece of code cor both notifications. Paste between ~~~ please for pretty printing the code

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Ah ok well I have postfix already which writes to /var/log/mail when it receives email. Debugging with that wasn't much help though unfortunately because using a local mail server is different than a remote server for many reasons.. Different paths through the code, different networking situation, etc. For example just because the mail server was asked to send a piece of mail doesn't mean it will send it, if its configuration prevents it from relaying mail based on the sender, etc..

2.0.18.8 - advanced notifications have led to headaches (duplicates,etc)for many people - if this what you used, I would avoid it, if it were me.

This was the problem - Actually this was unchecked for users, but was checked for administrators (I think that's the default state?). I unchecked it for myself and immediately notifications began coming in. IMO this feature is completely broken because I checked every box in my profile. Its working now. Thanks for your help

@UnderDog debugging Vanilla's code for them was what I was trying to avoid, when the work around was as simple as unchecking a box. I personally only contribute bug fixes to projects that utilize unit testing. If the notifications didn't have a simple work around I would have probably scrapped it and gone back to some other forum software, as there are some out there that do use unit testing & more elegant code in my opinion - but where Vanilla wins is its best from the user's point of view. Getting myself off topic though. Thanks again peregrine

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

Ah ok well I have postfix already which writes to /var/log/mail when it receives email. >Debugging with that wasn't much help though unfortunately because using a local mail >server is different than a remote server for many reasons.. Different paths through the >code, different networking situation, etc.

No problem, I find fakemail useful since I don't have a real mailer setup.

This was the problem - Actually this was unchecked for users, but was checked for administrators (I think that's the default state?). I unchecked it for myself and immediately notifications began coming in. IMO this feature is completely broken because I checked every box in my profile. Its working now. Thanks for your help

things to consider, if you don't already know...

• notification preferences are based on the preferences in config.php at the time the user was created. they will get those default preferences.

• you can change default preferences for "new users" by changing config.php. new users should get the preferences set in config.php

• old users are not affected by changes in notifications preferences in default.php.

• changes (that are saved) in an individuals profile preferences override any preferences in config.php

• advanced notifications - not for me. :)

• Options
    edited October 2013

Thanks those were my assumptions. I actually had all the checkboxes checked in my profile which should override everything. To quote Steve Jobs (personally a linux user not mac) "Here's the new application. Its got one window. You drag your video into the window. Then you click the button that says BURN. That's it. That's what we're going to make".

So yeah I'm with you, this advanced notifications is not for me. Even without the bug there's no need for it. My users come once, ask a question about my software, get the support they need then leave. Its not an immersive communtiy like facebook & it doesn't need the fine grained controls. The extra complexity almost made me walk away from this great Vanilla software. It goes against the spirit of Vanilla IMO.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

well, hope you come back and be immersive on " this forum" and write some add-ons for vanilla, sounds like you got the skills to do it.

good luck.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Might some day. I noticed when I comment on my own threads I get double notified now. Not a big deal but worth pointing out.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2013

@joshribakoff said:
    I noticed when I comment on my own threads I get double notified now.

On Vanillaforums.org or on your own site?
    can you add any extra info you have to the github issues list?
    __It's a known bug__

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Can you link me to the known bug? On my own site it happens. I don't have much more info. It happens 100% of the time now. Before turning off "advanced notifications" I got 0 emails, and now that it's on I get double emailed.

• Options

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/?utf8=✓

don't have the github number. I assume
    probably searching here for notifications.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/