HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feedback on Netro Theme

Hi. Can I have a bit of feedback on what you guys think about the theme and how Netro can improve?

Comments

• Well, I don't have the option to remove it. Some people may want it, but there are always other theme options to choose from in Netro Theme. I give 15 colour options. If you don't like Magenta, don't choose it.

• But, I am able to change the color. Tell me a HTML color code you want and i'll see if I can implement it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

I think @Tama's friendly feedback was:

the concept is to change the css color elements (e.g. anchors, etc) to work together, not just the banner color.

If it doesn't look easy to read to you, it probably won't look easy to read for others.

Well, I don't have the option to remove it.

but in theme construction you can remove any element you want, or change attributes, and displays

edited: btw: I agree with Tama as well.

thank you Tama for the insightful suggestion.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I agree with @Tama.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I offer some advice, try to use a color wheel or check out the tutorial about color codes there are some really good ones that help you pick colors that go together.

It takes more work I know because it is like a domino effect once you change this you must change that too. But that is what making NEW themes is all about. To make something different than the default.

When you offer color schemes, that implies that everything changes to match the new scheme. If the colors you offer do not work together, then those who wish to use the theme will have to in effect re-theme the theme so it works.

It is best to make one good full theme, instead of offering incomplete variables. In this case it is better to keep all your eggs in one basket. :)

• Well, I'll have to wait till the next release to change those. The next release date is 10/9/13 5:00 PM Central Time

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited October 2013

@peregrine How does that relate to "@ilovetech said: Well, I'll have to wait till the next release to change those. The next release date is 10/9/13 5:00 PM Central Time"?

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

Bit disappointed in this :/

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ... @Tama and what are you trying to say? Either you want me to give credit for BOTH or you want me to do something and oh by the way @Tama, It was originally copied off the BitterSweet theme, but parts were taken from the Vetro theme, so technically, about.php's code is from bittersweet, but the theme options code is from Vetro. So it's 75% Bittersweet code 25% Vetro Code

Look , unless you are looking to potentially be banned for cloning themes without the author approval, understand this:

Tama created Vetro and gets the credit , Used Metro as a guide and gives credit. You have no right to claim any part of it. You need to give credit to the entire source and where it originated if it not 100% original work.

Those who create the code can easily recognize their work. Changing the name is not sufficient to make it your own. I am also disappointed in the sense that I put in a lot of work into my themes and I am sure Tama also. If you are going to do this anyway, at least put more effort into the product.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

@vrijvlinder thanks for the support, @ilovetech but if you copy when you don't even bother changing the comments: it can seem that you don't care about other people's work ( however small it may be, because please be aware "Vetro" was a simple theme, and was something to fill some time ). Attribution is something I feel is important, in todays world of data; and that's why I don't upload some of my themes to this site; because I know I can't take credit where a large majority was taken from a private source.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @vrijvlinder @tama Ok. I'm sorry and I'll give @tama credit for the work in my details

• @tama OK. I got yours in the description, and just note: custom.css is NOT from Vetro, so from the .css files, not on credit, but you still get the credit for your 25% of about.php code (mainly the code was for the theme options)

• @vrijvlinder I actually didn't read that completely and didn't read the part that you said "Tama created Vetro and gets the credit" To be completely clear, at the beginning or so of this discussion, I said that "This theme was BASED off Bittersweet Theme that comes with Vanilla 2.1. OVER 96% of that code INCLUDING all .css files AND all class files are from Bittersweet. I did NOT use Vetro as a guide. I don't wanna get banned, but I need to make it clear on how this theme was based.

• What I'm trying to say is 2.4 has some things removed.

• Look at vanillaforums.org/addon/netrotheme-2.4 or something like that and you'll see what changes I've made AND removed Tama's work so that means 2.4 or later @tama doesn't get credit because removing those lines remove @tama's work, so that makes the work from Bittersweet and Bittersweet only

So basically it is the BitterSweet theme ? But with options from Vetro to change the banner ?

Then the Attribution should go like this :

Theme based on BitterSweet by Mark O'Sullivan, With options from Vetro Theme by Tama .

Then you can also give a small comparison as to what makes your theme different from the original BitterSweet and the options available by using Vetro.

By describing the differences people can see that it is not just another clone.

• @vrijvlinder Perhaps this discussion could be held in a PM (private message) to prevent spamming the discussion?