Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

No access from IE or Safari

I have looked amongst the current threads but cannot find a similar problem (ok similar, but not the same). Firefox, Chrome, Dragon and Opera all work fine but when people try to use IE or Safari there is a problem, in that they get looped to the sign in. e.g. sign in but then just get access to the visitor stuff and get presented with the sign in again . Sounds like a cookie problem but I don't know how to get around it.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@misifi

I think that is the bug I reported here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24655/github-1649-misreporting-status-of-signed-in-users#latest

The login status is being misreported.

If you get your users to press refresh/F5, the page normally loads with the correct log in status.

• Options

Unfortunately that is not a solution even after a refresh the situation is the same and also with the compatibility view that sometimes sorts these problems. :(

• Options

I have just noticed that the Avant browser (which uses the IE engine) works just fine and dandy. It is effectively a cut down version of IE so clearly it is one of the knobs and whistles of IE that is preventing the forum from acting right.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@misifi

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same issue.

Get them to clear the browser cache, and try again.

It works for my users.

• Options

if whu606's suggestion doesn't clear things up, could be has to deal with session cookies on an individuals browser. should be in the options to allow session cookies.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

It seems that if you turn off cookie protection all together in the browser, it overcomes the problem

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

User sessions require client side cookies for state management. If the browser is restricting cookies you are working stateless and Vanilla will treat you as a new visitor each time you refresh a page.