Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cloudflare, Vanilla Version

I've got my very busy Vanilla forum running through Cloudflare, but want to get the IPs to point to the real IP.

I'm also currently using 2.0.18.8, the supposedly stable version.

But it seems more and more plugins need 2.1beta(whatever) -- such as the Cloudflare support plugin.

So what's a poor Vanilla forum manager to do? Keep using 2.0.18.8 and fix the Cloudflare plugin so it doesn't need the 2.1 support, or keep waiting and waiting and waiting for 2.1, or is 2.1b2 really good enough for a live forum.

And what about all the customizations I've made to some plugins and my custom themes? Are most old 2.0.18 mods likely to still work?

This is a real issue - what to do?

Any suggestions for Cloudflare?

Best Answer

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@springridge

A hearty welcome to you. It's a toss up.

You can better answer answer the question yourself by creating a duplicate test version. There are instructions on the forum for creating duplicate test versions.

best suggestion

• create a test version of vanilla 2.1b2 and you will see what works and what doesn't.

There are two schools of thought - some people find people 2.1b2 works for them and use it live and are capable of rolling with punches and some incompatibilities, and some people who run vanilla 2.0.18.8 are capable of rolling with punches and some incompatibilities,

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• If you haven't modified the core files and made modifications through plugins and themes, then the upgrade process will not cause as many problems as you think.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• We're glad you're problem is solved! And by the way, Welcome to the Vanilla Forums community!

• do as peregrine said and set up a parallel install with all of your plugins. it may be fine, it may not be. I set one up for my site, it pee'd all over itself. several plugins and my site theme all showed incompatibility. i will work out all of the issues when 2.1 gets a little closer to RC (early 2045). until then i leave well enough alone.

• @hbf said:
    do as peregrine said and set up a parallel install with all of your plugins.

[] Install 2.0.18 with all your plugins on your local PC. Make it work

[] backup your local setup

[] upgrade to 2.1

[] if a plugin doesn't work and the simple solution doesn't solve the problem, search the forum. If that doesn't solve the problem post a discussion under that plugin's page : 'hey guys, I have this plugin with Vanilla 2.1 b2 and it does not work on my local computer with Firefox and Chrome. This is the contents of FireBug and these are the detailed error reports'

when 2.1 gets a little closer to RC (early 2045)

That's funny and not funny. The guys are working their asses off. The community tries to help as much as possible to give the guys a little break

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I know they are working hard. Just kidding around. But it's still anyone's guess as to the timeline for a 2.1 RC, so I'll be waiting for a while. Building out a production stable implementation is maybe a 2014 adventure for me, we shall see.

• @hbf Speaking of 2.1 RC, I can't wait until the final version goes out to the public!

• But until then, 2.1b2 is as efficient and beautiful as it can be!

• @businessdad -

Sorry, I checked your answer Yes before I tested it.

The file you provided can't work with 2.0.18.8 as far as I can tell - it uses both RequestAddress and RemoteAddress, neither which are included in the core Vanilla code - at least using a global search of all the Vanilla core files. And I see you zip includes ip_in_range.php. Does that automatically get included if you activate the plugin since it is in the plugin directory? (Sorry - I don't know Vanilla plugin semantics that well.)

I can understand exactly what the code is trying to do, but I don't know how it can do anything with those missing functions via Gdn:Request().

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

@businessdad said:
    I modified the CloudFlareSupport plugin some time ago to make it work with Vanilla 2.0, which I use, and to add more IP addresses used by CloudFlare. You can find it attached and on GitHub (branch labeled Working_with_Vanilla_2.0.18.x).

no attachment - just an fyi

and the link doesn't work either. if there was a reason for putting a link and an anchor.

but obviously one can find it on github manually.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @springridge said:
    businessdad -

>

Sorry, I checked your answer Yes before I tested it.

The file you provided can't work with 2.0.18.8 as far as I can tell - it uses both RequestAddress and RemoteAddress, neither which are included in the core Vanilla code - at least using a global search of all the Vanilla core files.

The plugin works well on Vanilla 2.0.18.8, I'm using it at the moment. Also, the GitHub branch is labeled Working_with_Vanilla_2.0.18.x for a reason. ;)
    The fact that the two methods you are looking for don't exist in the core doesn't mean that it won't work. I was surprised too, when I noticed that no file contained them, but Vanilla core used magic methods, and these "non existing" references will be resolved automatically.

And I see you zip includes ip_in_range.php. Does that automatically get included if you activate the plugin since it is in the plugin directory? (Sorry - I don't know Vanilla plugin semantics that well.)

Yes. Plugins are designed to be a "drop in, activate, use it". No need to modify the code. Also, if you look at the plugin file (class.cloudflaresupport.plugin.php), you will see require('ip_in_range.php'); at the beginning.

I can understand exactly what the code is trying to do, but I don't know how it can do anything with those missing functions via Gdn:Request().

As explained, they are not missing, they are automatically resolved. It's some of PHP's (confusing) magic.

@peregrine Thanks for the note about the link. Here's the correct one: https://github.com/daigo75/Addons. I inadvertently pasted the SSH link to fetch the repository, sorry about that.