Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Help with notification please!

So notifications aren't working at all on my forum. I have almost every box ticked in My Preferences but I dont receive notifications for anything, neither popup or email (though I'm more interested in email). I receive confirmation emails when I regester a new user so I know the email service is working. I'm using the VanillaBootstrap theme if that could cause any problems (with popups). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options

Is your SMTP set up properly?

Popups don't work properly for me on either of my forums. One has default theme, the other has Bootstrap.

• Options

What version?

• Options
    edited October 2013

@ilovetech said:
    What version?

2.0.18.8 but I think part of the problem is that the plugin I use to quote people (Quotes) doesn't send notifications. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• Options
    edited October 2013

Download 2.1b2 then download the newest version of Quotes. If you are using the newest version of Quotes on 2.0.18.8, then you obviously changed the requirements since Quotes (newest version) requires 2.1a and that's a valid requirement because of CSS. Fortunately, you have options to back up your database and upgrade. Let me pull up that discussion: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25157/howto-upgrade-from-a-older-version-of-vanilla-to-a-newer-version-fixed-edition#latest

• Options
    edited October 2013

The Beta version MUST be downloaded from the Core Section of the Addons. Just look down in the Versions for the Core, Vanilla and find Vanilla 2.1b2

• Options
    edited October 2013

@TheNetTweets Set up SMTP. What email provider? If you are using emails from a web hosting service like email@domain.org, then you MUST contact your hosting provider to get info. If you're using email service, like Gmail, Yahoo, mail.com (1&1 Company) or stuff like that, get your SMTP info from them. Also, retype the password carefully, your email carefully, and SMTP server carefully

• Options

If it helps, change your Text format to Markdown, and since using quotes with markdown requires using the @ function, if you enable the If you get mentioned email popup system, you'll get notified because there's the @ function. Try it with HTML too. I don't know what'll happen, but until you get your SMTP working, no email functions will be able to be used

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@ilovetech

Please stop giving people bad advice , 2.1b2 is not for production and it is not a solution to his problem.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Never mind then. Whoopsies

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

First of all the new version of Quotes does not work in 2.0 without some mods and even then it works differently and it has nothing to do with his notification problem.

You are not providing help you are providing more confusion . Please abstain until you become proficient and know what you are talking about. How about this for a suggestion, work on your own forum . Learn about Vanilla. Fully...

Learn about the differences in the Versions and Respect the advice given by Lincoln and Todd about not using this beta version on production sites or if you are not very Familiar with Vanilla or coding. Doing so will hinder not help. Your own questions give away your small understanding of this software and you need to learn more before you go around giving people advice or suggestions.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Basically, @TheNetTweets Try to fix your SMTP first then try any other solutions. I'll look around for you for any old posts you could solve your problems with

• Options
    edited October 2013

Life's too short to be arguing, and besides everyone makes mistakes, but I'll learn

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@TheNetTweets said:
    2.0.18.8 but I think part of the problem is that the plugin I use to quote people (Quotes) doesn't send notifications. Does anyone know how to fix this?

the question of how to get notification when someone is quoted, is different from a general statement of notifications do not work.

you should refine your problem statement so you can get better advice on how to solve it.

if e-mail notification is not working in any circumstance - such as confirmation e-mails, or other built in functions then you likely have a mail config issue.

if the problem is no one gets notified when they are mentioned, then that is a different problem.

if the problem is no one gets notified when they are quoted, then that is yet again an entirely different problem (not really a problem since it's not designed to do that)

pick one problem at a time and people can help.