Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Installer giving 502 error

When I run the VF installer, it loads for a while and then gives me a 502 bad gateway error. The MySQL db is getting filled, but the config file is not getting populated and if I refresh the page, it goes back to the installer with all my info gone. I set the perms of the config to 777, but nothing happened.

Comments

  • What is the version of Vanilla you are trying to install and can you give us a screenshot of the error please?

    UnderDoghgtonight
  • edited October 2013

    @ilovetech said:
    What is the version of Vanilla you are trying to install and can you give us a screenshot of the error please?

    I am installing version 2.2.4 and the error is a regular 502 bad gateway error;server returned with invalid or incomplete data.

    hgtonight
  • ShadowdareShadowdare Moderator
    edited October 2013

    Welcome to the community!

    Do you know if your website is running on Apache or another web server program? Do you have access to the error logs of your website?

    Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

    hgtonight
  • Is the installer provided by ypur host or is it the 'out of the box' installer?

    Which host? Are you installing through https?

    hgtonight
  • I am running Apache, but don't know how I can get an error log. I downloaded VF from the GitHub repo (master branch) and just uploaded all the files up

    hgtonight
  • ShadowdareShadowdare Moderator
    edited October 2013

    The error logs will be very helpful as the causes of 502 errors are usually reported in them. If you are on a shared hosting plan, try looking in the root of your website for any files that could be an error log, or contact your host for more info on where to find the error logs. If you are on VPS, dedicated, or locally hosting, with access to the entire server configuration and files, then the error logs could be found in several places.

    One likely cause is that the installer script timed out because the PHP execution time currently set for your website is too short and needs to be raised.

    Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

    hgtonight
  • @Shadowdare said:
    The error logs will be very helpful as the causes of 502 errors are usually reported in them. If you are on a shared hosting plan, try looking in the root of your website for any files that could be an error log, or contact your host for more info on where to find the error logs. If you are on VPS, dedicated, or locally hosting, with access to the entire server configuration and files, then the error logs could be found in several places.

    One likely cause is that the installer script timed out because the PHP execution time currently set for your website is too short and needs to be raised.

    That seems like what happened because it loads for a while before giving me the error. How would I change that execution time?

    UnderDoghgtonight
  • If you have access to the web server's php.ini file, you can find the max_execution_time setting in the file and change it to something like this: max_execution_time = 300

    Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

    UnderDoghgtonight
  • @Shadowdare said:
    If you have access to the web server's php.ini file, you can find the max_execution_time setting in the file and change it to something like this: max_execution_time = 300

    Nope, that didn't work.

    hgtonight
  • ShadowdareShadowdare Moderator
    edited October 2013

    Did you restart the Apache service so that the new php.ini changes get applied? Find the error logs and see if you can figure out what the actual error is.

    Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

    UnderDog
  • edited October 2013

    @Shadowdare said:
    Did you restart the Apache service so that the new php.ini changes get applied? Find the error logs and see if you can figure out what the actual error is.

    I can't seem to find the error log, but I know that the apache server got applied. I use Freehostia if that makes any difference.

  • On my host, x10hosting There's a special FTP account for the logs. Maybe you have something like that if you have File Manager or even better, FTP

Sign In or Register to comment.