Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding custom discussion form for select categories

edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Does anyone know how to do this or is anybody working on this type of extension?

Comments

• edited July 2006
  • edited June 2006
    -
  • Custom in what way? I think it would be pretty easy; the only hassle would be that sometimes the discussion form is loaded without a category pre-selected.
  • edited June 2006
    how do you mean mini?
  • edited June 2006
    I tried to put a screenshot up but it doesn't seem to be working so... http://urbanfeet.org/extvan.jpg
  • BenBen
    edited June 2006
    So adding extra fields when you create a discussion, like the predefined user info extension.
    I suppose that could be used as a basis, but where would it put that info in the database?
  • I'm a db novice, anyone else? ideas? this would be a great extension.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Is mini running around breaking stuff again?
  • I looked at the database and I think for something like this another column would be needed in the lum_comment table, a simlar setup to the Attributes/Preferences field in the user table. That way you could assign as many bits of extra info as you like, might be useful if someone makes a poll extension as well.
  • thanks Ben! do you have instructions on how to start this?
  • Well, Mark's the guy to ask for a new database column as an extension couldn't create it on its own, it'd have to be put in the core.
  • edited June 2006
    It could create it easily? The question is whether it's best done in the core. Would it be such a bad thing if all (or some) of the tables had a sort of miscellaneous column which could hold custom values like the user table has?
  • O.K. I'm confused when you say "the core" you don't mean the movie :)
  • the core meaning all the files other than the extensions pretty much. The main part of vanilla that it runs on.
  • Um, extensions could easily add columns to database tables.
  • yeah thats what i was thinking :P
  • BenBen
    edited July 2006
    Can they? Pardon me. :)
  • Thanks Immersion, so anyone thinking of making this kind of extension?
  • Err i dont think they are :( Would be nice though. Guess the number of people turning it into download software :P It would work quite well actually.
  • Revisiting this topic any help would be great.
This discussion has been closed.