Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Arrgh! Can't install new plugins!

For some reason, although I upload new plugins to the plugins directory, they don't show up on the 'Manage Plugins' page. If I remove one, it's gone, but others I have added don't show up at all.

This started because I want to install ProxyConnect. I uploaded it according to the instructions and couldn't see it. Then I tried uploading DiscussionPolls, and I can't see that either.

Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

are you unzipping the plugins and do you have the correct permissions on the folder of the plugin. compare the owner and permissions of the folders of the plugins that do work and the ones that don't work.

/plugins/Sampleplugin           
     - unzipped files

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

you need to provide the version of Vanilla you are using .

• Peregrin - Thanks, I'll check them.

Adrian - 2.0.18.9, recently updated from 2.0.18.8

• Yes, all files were unzipped first..

...and owner/permissions the same all round (I was kind of hoping it would be that simple to fix)

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited December 2013

Please show a screenshot of the contentd of the /Plugins folder in your FTP program. Of course blank out stuff that you do not want to show to us like your web address / file locations (/pub/www/user_name/public_html/forum)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Do not remove plugins from the dashboard, there is a bug which will wipe out your plugin folder. Check your plugin folder for the plugins.

• Please show a screenshot of the contentd of the /Plugins folder in your FTP program.

Here are two (because I couldn't fit them all in one). The last one listed in the 1st and first one in the 2nd are the same to prove nothing is left out. This directory lists 24 elements, but the plugins manager only lists 15. ALSO, yes, I know some of these are not valid because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to upload the entire unzipped proxyconnect folder, or choose one of those contained within it, so I uploaded a few to see if one of them actually showed up, but.. no luck.

• what are the permission of the file inside the plugin folder that you can see?

grep is your friend.

• what are the permission of the file inside the plugin folder that you can see?

The permission on each file is 644, and each folder is 755.

• post a screenshot of your dashboard with the plugins.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• and also post a snapshot file inside a plugin that doesn't show up.

and remove folders from your plugin directory that are not plugins.

• post a screenshot of your dashboard with the plugins.

see below.

and also post a snapshot file inside a plugin that doesn't show up.

..sorry, I don't understand..

and remove folders from your plugin directory that are not plugins.

doing that now.

• Whoa...

I started deleting plugins I could live w/o, and after deleting the Debugger plugin, and re-uploading ProxyConnect, I can now see ProxyConnect where it was invisible before.

Note - I am not necessarily pinning this on the Debugger plugin, it just so happened that after removing it, I can now see the newly-uploaded ProxyConnect. I wish I could investigate further, but I've already lost most of a day on this and need to get back to figuring out how to get proxyconnect going.

Thanks everyone, for all your help and suggestions, especially Peregrine!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

whatever you do - don't delete HtmLawed - you want this. And if you have deleted it make sure you get it again from the core zip files and make sure it is enabled in the config.php.
    It won't show up in the dashboard, but it will work as long as this line is in config.php

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['HtmLawed'] = 'HtmLawed';

I don't think it was the debugger plugin, but you had other folders that appeared to be not plugins as well as some weird naming conventions for some plugins.

you could just re-install the debugger plugin and i bet you won't have a problem.

• Folders like porter-core-1-6-4 that is plugins that weren't extracted properly. Follor peregrine's instructions

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks - I put HtmLawed back as you suggested, but will hold off on the debugger til I need it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

glad it worked. awesome