Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

BetterNotifications error

khalwatkhalwat New
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I activated the BetterNotifications plugin, but when I click on a Bookmarked discussion, I get errors:

{"Code":8,"Exception":"Undefined property: DiscussionController::$DiscussionID\n\n#0 \/var\/www\/forums\/plugins\/BetterNotifications\/class.betternotifications.plugin.php(36): Gdn_ErrorHandler(8, 'Undefined prope...', '\/var\/www\/forums...', 36, Array)\n#1 \/var\/www\/forums\/library\/core\/class.pluginmanager.php(648): BetterNotifications->DiscussionController_Render_Before(Object(DiscussionController), Array, 'discussioncontr...')\n#2 \/var\/www\/forums\/library\/core\/class.pluginmanager.php(590): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandler(Object(DiscussionController), 'DiscussionContr...', 'Render', 'Before')\n#3 \/var\/www\/forums\/library\/core\/class.pluggable.php(179): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandlers(Object(DiscussionController), 'DiscussionContr...', 'Render', 'Before')\n#4 \/var\/www\/forums\/applications\/vanilla\/controllers\/class.discussioncontroller.php(369): Gdn_Pluggable->__call('Render', Array)\n#5 \/var\/www\/forums\/applications\/vanilla\/controllers\/class.discussioncontroller.php(369): DiscussionController->Render()\n#6 [internal function]: DiscussionController->Bookmark('1675', 'ZSKGUKJLE826')\n#7 \/var\/www\/forums\/library\/core\/class.dispatcher.php(322): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#8 \/var\/www\/forums\/index.php(53): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch()\n#9 {main}"}

Any updates to this plugin, or thoughts on how to resolve this?

Comments

• Options

probably want to include the version number of vanilla you are using as well as the plugin version number.

if you say latest "I will cry".

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Latest! (just kidding :) )

BetterNotifications version: 1.0.2
    Vanilla Forums: 2.0.18.8

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

Thanks for keeping me from shedding a tear. Almost thought I would though.

I can't say if it works, because I use localhost and no email.

But i just downloaded and enabled it.

but i can tell you it enables fine without errors on my computer with
    BetterNotifications version: 1.0.2 Vanilla Forums: 2.0.18.8

when you look at your UserDiscussions table do you see a notifications column.

You must enable this plugin via the dashboard not via config.php

I would disable and re-enable to see if the error goes away.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I was able to enable it without incident; it's when I click on a bookmarked discussion that the errors occur. I will attempt to reactivate it.

Thanks for your help.

• Options

I clcik on bookmarked discussions without error as well. I tried to debug without e-mail, but i never see the notification table showing a 1 in any row.

• Options
    jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

@khalwat, I'm initially sceptical that the plugin is the issue, as it's been running on a number of Vanilla v2.0.18 installs without incident for a couple of months now.

I can't seem to replicate the issue, but that being said, let's look at the error itself. DiscussionController->DiscussionID is undefined for some reason. Would you be able to insert some debug output before the line that causes the error, to dump the contents of DiscussionController?

Finally, to clarify, you're experiencing this issue when you enter a discussion thread and bookmark the discussion, correct? It occurs to me that there might be other plugins that allow you to bookmark a discussion from outside the thread. In that instance, I am not sure what would happen.

• Options

Finally, to clarify, you're experiencing this issue when you enter a discussion thread and bookmark the discussion, correct?

I would enter the discussion, save and then bookmark the discussion

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

The Vanilla forums install that I have is, well, fairly vanilla. The only plugins enabled are:

-- Emotify 2.0.1
    -- Vanilla 1.0.6
    -- Minify 1.0.3b
    -- Quotes 1.2.2
    -- Tagging 1.1p1
    -- Vanilla Proxyconnect 1.9.9
    -- Vanilla Statistics 2.0.2
    -- WYSIWYG (CLEditor) 1.1

I haven't had an issue with any of these plugins, most of which came with the Vanilla install.

In any event, I experience the error in the following places:

1) Go to a Category listing, and click on the bookmark icon to the right of any topic in that category

2) Go to a Topic listing, and click on the bookmark icon to the right of the first post in that topic

3) Go to "All Discussions", click on "My Bookmarks" and click on the Bookmark icon to the right of any of the bookmarked topics

If I disable BetterNotifications, the error disappears.

• Options
        var_dump($Sender);

On line 36, just before

$DiscussionID = $Sender->DiscussionID;

...yields the attached file as results.

• Options

as a side note - I would avoid minify like the plague - it can yield odd results.

you could also disable the plugins you mentioned and see if privacy notice works.as a test.

but jamesinc would know the best..

• Options

I disabled Minify -- same results.

• Options

did you get my pm.

• Options

the last person who posted on this forum with a
    {"Code":8,"Exception":"Undefined property

error (not related to any plugin)

did a reinstall of the core and the problem was solved. Since you are at version 2.0.18.8 and not solving your issue. it seems worth reinstalling core with the new security fixes 2.0.18.9 - you might get two birds with one stone.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

in your case I would disable all plugins through dashboard and re-enable BetterNotifications and see what happens then.

• Options

Thanks peregrine. It's on my list to install 2.0.18.9 anyway, so I guess I will give that a shot.

It seems weird to me that the forums otherwise function perfectly. Odd.

• Options

I updated to 2.0.18.9 successfully, ran the utility/structure update... everything works great.

Sadly, enabling BetterNotifications causes the same error to happen.

• Options
    jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

@khalwat, I did eventually track down an issue in BetterNotifications that was not affecting 2.0.18.8, but may have been affecting versions after that, including 2.0.18.9. I have updated the plugin here, if you get the chance could tell me if that solves your problem?