Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Ban returning (banned) users effectivly?

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone of you, ever found an intelligent way to ban a user effectivly who comes back after banning again and again. The users ID is dynamic, he changes E-Mail constantly (because i banned him by E-Mail) so i don't know a way how to get rid of this users.

Any ideas, any mechanic that could help (i us free registration, it's not possible to run my forum on approval).

Would be great to hear.
Thx

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Next step would be to ban his IP address. Does not help much is he has a dynamic IP, but it's still better than nothing.

• Options

Sorry to hear that the annoying banned user keeps returning. I would still get out every trick from the book to detect this guy. Start with peregrine's and hgtonight's plugins (restrictionlogger) and go from there. It's an excellent test case under these horrible circumstances.

He must have patterns. Maybe his IP address is in a range, although I think that your users might be in that same range, maybe he uses a specific email provider, etc. etc.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@Tudor: Yep, thanx it wasn't possible as his IP is dynamic ( i miswrote above with ID).

@UnderDog: I couldn't really identify a range. I guess on users there are no other legal ways to identify them by by IP or E-Mail. So also the other plugins won't work in any way i guess. Especially SEO users are a mess.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2013

@phreak said:
    Tudor: Yep, thanx it wasn't possible as his IP is dynamic ( i miswrote above with ID).

UnderDog: I couldn't really identify a range. I guess on users there are no other legal ways to identify them by by IP or E-Mail. So also the other plugins won't work in any way i guess. Especially SEO users are a mess.

see if you can identify the country the spammers are coming from, and if most users on your forum are not from that county, block the entire country via ip cidr blocks. or only allow users from select countries.

e.g. - if the spammer is from Transylvania and all other users are from somewhere else, and one valid user is from translyvania.
    allow the one user from Translyvania to login via ip or domain and message them accordingly and deny the rest from Transylvania. keeps the vampires away.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

P, it's no use. Phreak has given up, so I guess it's up to us to give up too... Too bad though. It's a good testing ground for all your amazing plugins...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Phreak: if I understand you right, you have a user who is going amok in your forum. To ban someone, you have to find a pattern and there is none for a human who tries to register to your forum again and again.

I can think of two solutions:
    a) using plugins like hellban, or anything other to go and fight with the user on a tournament
    b) go and tell him there will be legal consequences: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Gericht-bestaetigt-Hausrecht-fuer-Forenbetreiber-145205.html

• Options

@peregrine: Thanx for the input. The user is from a local area, where my forum works (it's not international) so it's heavy to rule em out. What might work is making forum users aware of the person to flag him constantly, but also this creates a kind of police culture by the crowd which is definitly something no community maker wants to rise.

@UnderDog: No no, i didn't gave up. I just thought technical things that can help here. This will be a social testing ground. Plugins are not always the holy grail when it comes to humans...

@R_J: Yep, that was what i meant. Hell ban is a very good idea. Thanx, i just forget about some plugins some times. Thanx for also pointing me to this article, this is very interesting in this case and also in general.