Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Where does the Vanilla Forums plugin for Wordpress create the post in the Vanilla forum?

I've integrated Vanilla and WP with the VF plugin for Wordpress. I'd like to modify how the "System" posts the blog post into the Vanilla Forum. The links open inside the embed, while I'd like to make them target _blank.

I'm looking through the WP plugin code at blog/wp-content/plugins/vanilla-forums and can't find where to change this. I've searched the forum and saw and old post but no resolution. Where can I change this? Also, no content is being posted, just a link to the WP post. Is there a way to get the body of the blog post in the discussion topic?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2014

Please tell us what numerical version of the Vanilla forum you are using.

Explain how you embedded the forum , in a page ? in your WP installation ?

Are you just using the comments or the forum ?

You don't need to use the plugin for the forum to work embedded in wordpress. The plugin is used when you want to integrate the comments system .

To make links open in a new window please search the forum using these parameters

open link in new window, there are many here is a recent one

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25717/change-target-on-links-in-embed-forum

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Please tell us what numerical version of the Vanilla forum you are using.

Explain how you embedded the forum , in a page ? in your WP installation ?

Are you just using the comments or the forum ?

You don't need to use the plugin for the forum to work embedded in wordpress. The plugin is used when you want to integrate the comments system .

To make links open in a new window please search the forum using these parameters

open link in new window, there are many here is a recent one

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25717/change-target-on-links-in-embed-forum

Thanks, was searching more on Vanilla wordpress integration but the link target on embedded VF code found your solution that you quoted there. VF 2.0.18.10 and WP 3.8. Using the integration because I do want the comments. That link worked perfectly:

SOLUTION from http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25717/change-target-on-links-in-embed-forum:

inserted the following in the <head> on file themes/{themename}/views/default.master.tpl

{literal}
        <script type="text/javascript">
        $(document).ready(function() {
            $('.Message a').attr('target', '_top');
        });
        </script>
    {/literal}

I actually meant _top not _blank, this opens the blog post from an embedded VF iframe as the normal WP post, not the entire WP site in the VF iframe. Also seems to work for any other URL that a user posts in the comments.

Originally had used No More Frames WP plugin which works, but 1) its slower as it figures out its in a frame and 2) doesnt necessarily work for external URL or non-WP URLs.

• Options

Still am trying to figure out how to get the body or some part of the body of the WP post into the VF post. Right now, it just shows the title/link

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Good, thanks for posting your solution :)

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

@an2050 said:
    Still am trying to figure out how to get the body or some part of the body of the WP post into the VF post. Right now, it just shows the title/link

In Vanilla 2.0.18.10, I don't recall how the embedvanilla plugin fetches the page info for displaying text in discussions created by the embedded comments feature.

In Vanilla 2.1b2, the Comment method in the PostController class calls the FetchPageInfo function which "examines the page at [a passed in URL address] for title, description & images."

The body text that you would like to show up in discussions created by the embedded comments feature is determined by a couple <meta tags> in the <head> of the HTML source code of the blog post's page.

The two meta tags that it looks for respectively are:

<meta property="og:description" content="The excerpt of your blog post." />
    <meta name="description" content="The excerpt of your blog post." />

There are WordPress plugins that add these in for you, such as <WordPress SEO by Yoast> and <others at the WordPress Plugin Directory>, which generate these tags based on the excerpts of your blog posts. You can also <add the description tag to your theme> manually.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app