Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to add search box with dropdown menu

Hi. How can I add the search box with a dropdown menu (title, author, category, tags, date), as in this vanilla forum site?

Thanks.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

closest thing is sphinxsearch plugin.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/sphinxsearch-plugin

read the plugin instructions and description closely.

and you might get something similar as well if you use the vanilla hosted plan.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks. I was hoping I could do it without a plugin :\

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

my developer is going to implement a drop down search menu using sphinx. I'll let you know how it turns out...

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

@meshugy please issue a pull request if you get that dropdown working and plan to release it open source. It would be a nice touch to the frontend.

• meshugymeshugy Musician/Hacker ✭✭

@mcu_hq will do!

• exeticoexetico New
    edited March 2016

@meshugy said:
    @mcu_hq will do!

Hi @meshugy ! I know this is a bump, but how did it work out? I need a dropdown solution for the search-panel, so it's just a bit easier to use the search options from SphinxSearch.

Will you be able to share your solution? Please let me know.

Best Regards.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

@exetico I used a single button toggle for the search option in the "lite" version found here:
    https://github.com/mcuhq/SphinxSearchLite/blob/master/views/search/index.php

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to offer so you can see what it looks like, but I think it may be what you are looking for.

• @mcu_hq Thanks for the explanation!