Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

search bug

I noticed a search bug. Search does not find the last words in a sentence. For example, if a post consist of "Will this work?" searching for the word "work" will not find the post. However searching for "will" and "this" produces results. The same is true for words that appear at the end of a sentence with a period or any other punctuation character. I am building and testing an embeded Vanilla installation, here: http://wellandhistory.ca/discussion. I only have a handful of messages there so that it is easy to see the Search fail. For example, I have one message titled "upload test #2". But searching for the word "upload" yields no results. Searching for the word "test" is successful. Is anyone else aware of this problem?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

having a small dataset also makes search fail.

you should google mysql and search engines and you will find out words less than a certain number of characters are skipped, words that comprise a certain % of the database, etc may not be searched, etc. etc. there are rules how search and mysql engines work.

So, in essence searching in a small database is a bit of a problem,

In any event, i wouldn't expect any fixes in search. You can laways try sphinxsearch if you know what you are doing and your host allows it.

Please post version numbers of vanilla in every discussion you start.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Good advice. But the problem is not always word-length related. I created a message with "Welland" as the first word in the post, and search did not find it. For my site, posts may often begin with proper names and place names like that. In another post I used the word "sentence" in the middle somewhere, and Search did not find the post. It not find the posts with the words "hello" "first" in the middle of the post somewhere. Very perplexing.. but thanks for some possible reasons to be found in mysql rules.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

You can search this forum for search related issues. You can also modify things. You can post on github. Expecting any changes in search for vanilla 2.0.18.10 is like waiting for santa claus. My point is its either been answered before or it is fruitless. You can however modify things as you like. there are search paramaters changes via config. If i had links to these discussions I would post them, but you can search on the forum as well as I can.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/sphinxsearch-plugin

you can also make it search via google. also posted on this forum in a few discussions.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thank you. I appreciate those ideas. ..Ogg