Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problems with setup for Vanilla 2.2

Hi, I've just tried to upgrade to Vanilla 2.2

I completely cleaned my whole FTP and just uploaded it to the empty root.

All files were uploaded as required however when I go to my domain I simply get a blank page with no setup showing up. I can see from the favicon that the page is fully loaded and the URL is /index.php?p=/dashboard/setup but the page is completely blank.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Are you an experienced developer ? Is this your first try at Vanilla?
    We only recommend you use the stable version 2.0.18.10

Any other version is for Beta and Alpha testing and most people here are not using alpha versions. You may find better support at Git Hub.

Try installing again or use the supported version for production use.

• Options

I'm certainly not an experienced developer but I know my way around. I've used 2.0.18.10 multiple times and know exactly how to use it :) I would be using it right now but i'm updating to be able to use the Bootstrap theme.

I'm worried that it may be because my webhosts PHP version wasn't high enough so I'm switching to my alternate host and trying again :)

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

ok, well good luck with that then, I am sure you will figure it out. You will find more info at git hub where you should be posting this.

I don't think people should be forced to use non production versions of vanilla in order to be able to use themes or plugins that only work with versions not even available for download here on this site. I don't see the point, But that is my opinion ... maybe 2.2 will be the next 2.1b3...

• Options

I agree with you about forcing people to update - however it's because it required much more work for the theme developer according to him so I guess you can't really blame him. It's got an amazing Flat UI design that I just can't get my eyes off of though :)

Apologies for posting this in the wrong place, for further support i'll be sure to head over to GitHub. Thanks a lot for your replies :)

• Options

One more thing. When you get a blank page at the setup screen try to add error_reporting(E_ALL) in the script and disable any ob_start anywhere so you can see the error details

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

2.2 is not even beta, you should not be using on a production site, period (or full stop).

2.1 is beta.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2014

Tbh the whole version system is in a state of mass confusion I agree with a number of people that they haven't really been all that consistent. Because of this ambiguity, of do one thing say another, it has weakened the meaning of the versions.

IMO 2.2 addons should not be in the repro, or at least they should be not be shown be default.

Most of the people using 2.1 are not really beta testers, they aren't reporting things, the responsibility isn't taken seriously.

2.1 has new issues that aren't in 2.0, which aren't likely to be fixed soon possibly not even in 2.2 either.

maybe 2.2 will be the next 2.1b3

This isn't really how version should work.

There has been way too much focus on features at the expense of other things like stability an security. I want them to thrive, and that does mean features, but some known issue that are really more critical are being left unchanged for months, and won't be fixed, until so alpha version which has yet to go through testing. I can't agree with this approach.

I've used 2.0.18.10 multiple times and know exactly how to use it

This is not really what this is about, it is a question of whether the software is stable and safe, and weather you are experienced enough developer to be ale to replicate issues an report them.

Alpha version are not for production. Alpha versions are not even for messing around with. They are considered unstable until proven otherwise, in which case they are elevated then the beta testing starts.

grep is your friend.

• Options

I completely agree with you, I'm no where near experienced enough to be reporting issues confidently - it's more the issue that the theme I really want is only available on 2.2 and I won't be using Vanilla without that theme unfortunately.

• Options

I would back port the theme.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    I would back port the theme.

How would I do that? I'm not sure it would work, its the Bootstrap theme by Kasper: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bootstrap-theme

• Options

IMO that should not even be in the addon section without a disclaimer.

You would need to fork it github, most likely it is using some features only in 2.2 but frankly this the problem with this feature craze.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2014

If you can get 2.1.x working, Bootstrap for Vanilla will work with it just fine but will have a couple of bugs that will need patching. While Bootstrap for Vanilla is not using any features specific to 2.2.x, it does rely on fixes introduced in this branch.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

@Kasper said:
    If you can get 2.1.x working, Bootstrap for Vanilla will work with it just fine but will have a couple of bugs that will need patching. While Bootstrap for Vanilla is not using any features specific to 2.2.x, it does rely on fixes introduced in this branch.

Okay - thanks a lot :)