HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

How do I add custom JS code to header/footer?

unixherounixhero
edited March 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi

I am installing/enabling an analytics package by Heapanalytics.com . Here are the installation instructions:

"Just paste the following code snippet before your website's closing tag. We'll take care of the rest."

I tried googling around, and I searched the forums... but the answers didn´t make any sense to me.
I want to add a javascript code before the @<@/@[email protected]>@ tag.

I am using the default Vanillaforums theme.

Which file should I edit?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You can add the js in your default.master.php or you can make a plugin to add it.

I sugest you download a custom theme and learn how it is put together because to be able to do what you want you need to have a custom theme or create one.

The default theme is the master theme and should not be edited.

hgtonight
  • ShadowdareShadowdare Moderator
    edited March 2014

You can also create a ThemeHooks file for your theme or use the Pockets plugin to insert HTML code to various areas on your website.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

vrijvlinderhgtonightbusinessdad
  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

+1 for the Pockets plugin, by far the easiest way to add custom JS.

• unixherounixhero
    edited March 2014

Thanks for your suggestions. I am trying to go with the Pockets route, but I am running into problems. The Pockets plugin gives me a 404 when I add a script as a pocket, although html and pure text works fine... I have posted a question to the Pockets-plugin author/community.

Now I have added the script to the default.master.php file in in the dashboard/views folder.

• Hi again

pasting a javascript snippet above the header in default.master.tpl does not work and crashes the forum

pasting a javascript snippet in Pockets does not work (I was on 2.0 then, and 2.1, new webhost)

Maybe someone could suggest another way I can add an analytics javascript snippet in a header?