Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Finding "default.master.tpl"

Hey guys.

I'm just trying to get started with theming, but having a few issues getting off the ground.

My current issue is that I can't seem to find "default.master.tpl", as mentioned in the tutorial.

I did find one from GitHub, but it was two years outdated, and didn't seem to match what the tutorial was saying.
Can anyone send me a copy?

(Also, is there an IRC channel or anything? I feel silly posting such trivial things like this on the forum, pushing down more important posts...)

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I think that the tutorial is incomplete. Themes may contain a default.master.tpl (which is a Smarty file), but they may also contain a default.master.php, which is a plain PHP file, or even no file at all. In last case, the master file found in the application/view folder is taken instead (in a basic Vanilla installation, it can be found in applications/dashboard/views.
    To override such file, simply copy it in <your theme folder>/views. The file in the theme folder will take precedence over the one in the application folder.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

not all themes have a default.master.tpl, they may have a default.master.php

these .tpl and .php files are located in the views folder of the theme. Otherwise they use a default.
    you can copy one of the examples below and customize as you see fit in /Yourtheme/views folder.

when you create your new theme - you may use either default.master.tpl or default.master.php
    in 2.1 there is more of a leaning towards using .tpl based themes. Most of the themes in the add-on section are probably default.master.php based, except for possibly newer ones.

e.g. embedfriendly theme uses .tpl file that is a sample.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/2.0/themes/EmbedFriendly/views

in version 2.1b2 - here is a sample for the bittersweet theme

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/2.1/themes/bittersweet/views/default.master.tpl

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

maybe the The Ultimate Theme Guide for Designers should be called the penultimate Theme Guide

and your link V should be called Ultimate.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.