Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

reCaptcha help - once and for all

2»

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@gtron said:
    thanks for thread jacking.

i just wanted repatcha on the registration page and the ability to approve applicants rather than one or the other.

You were given the solution. A captcha plugin made for approval registration, but either you don't understand what that is or you don't want a captcha with approval registration .

i will avoid asking for assistance on here in the future as it's obviously more than some can handle.

You did not ask for assistance you demanded it "Once and for all !!! give it to me or else !!!"

We tried to help you did not accept the help . End of story. We are volunteers here and are under no obligation to help anyone specially if they have a bad attitude.

Good luck with your endeavors ....

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@gtron said:
    thanks for thread jacking.

i just wanted repatcha on the registration page and the ability to approve applicants rather than one or the other.

Laughing at someone is no good way of teaching: the real message will not be heard. I think here are two messangess you might to take into consideration:
    1. recaptcha will not save you from bot applicants
    Read "Security" section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA). I as a user get angry whenever I have to deal with those lousy captchas: they are very hard for me to decrypt and I know, they don't stop any professional bot.
    2. There are other solutions and from the feedback that has already been supplied they do a very good job.

You've asked for a recaptcha solution and you've explained why. Because recaptcha is not considered the best solution for your problem, you have been told other ways to solve it. Take it that way.

@gtron said:
    i will avoid asking for assistance on here in the future as it's obviously more than some can handle.

Look at other threads and you'll find that nearly no question remains unanswered. So if you need an answer, you'll be welcome again.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

entschuldigen ? we were hardly laughing at any one merely pointing out the obvious. We are not teaching them anything because they don't want to learn.

We gave them the answers several times and they did not like them or want to accept them. peregrine made a plugin for this. They don't want it. It is too difficult to try even.

Did I mention they want google recaptcha captcha not any other captcha with registration approval but it can't be difficult or they get mad :( ?

I can understand you want to advice them even after we tried to convince them and it is noble of you to do so. You are a good guy and we are the bad guys. Or I am the bad guy. Don't need to drag peregrine into this... after all he is the one who made the plugin for this person and got shot down.

Maybe we just did not do a good job at all. Or at least I failed miserably to pass on useful information. Several times. I am a horrible person thanks for making me see that..

I will try harder to reach the standards required by the humble servants here. Apparently they are not up to par. For now I will simply ignore the questions and let others better capable take over. Maybe a 10 year old can do a much better job.

• @R_J said: By now, Vanillas standard registration methods couldn't be combined out of the box. That's a fact and that's why you have to use/create a plugin.

thank you, @R_J‌.

in short, what we are trying to do is not currently offered. i can now have our developers move forward.

on a side note, sometimes people just want their question answered rather than having workarounds or temporary solutions that aren't quite what they're looking for thrown in their face.

i did not request to be schooled in security or for plugins that don't offer what we were looking for. this thread turned quite sloppy like many others and that's why my original search turned up zero answers. i hope that anyone else searching for the same sees @R_J‌'s post and realizes it's not currently possible.

thank you all for your assistance and at least you had a good time with it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

nice followup.

Perhaps the post title could have said "Is there a way to add recaptcha with approval process. If so, how?"

maybe a moderator could change the title and someone might answer with more of a solution.

and as you said in your second post and clarified...

gtron said:
    thank you very much for your reply. we still want recaptcha and that is why the title of this thread says reCaptcha help rather than "help me stop spam" or "what plugin should i use for bots".

gtron said:
    i probably shouldn't have added the bit about getting hammered because it distracts people from what i'm directly asking for. thanks again though.

and I said:

back to original question: carry on

gtron said: i've searched but i'm really having a problem trying to find the exact and best way to add reCaptcha on the registration page for 2.0.18.10

sorry for my part in the thread de-rail. and thanks r_j for getting de-railed train back on track,

gtron said:
    in short, what we are trying to do is not currently offered. i can now have our developers move forward.

1. hope when you developers get it working you, you can post your solution for the rest of the community.
    2. Often times people say I'll get my developers on it, and never post a solution.
    3. I figure they never come back to share the solution because a) their developers didn't solve it or b) they decided not to share the solution they developed with the community. Both valid reasons for not posting a solution.

and since this is a community forum I hope the other alternative answers may be helpful to others, and the cartoons provide a bit of humor in the day!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• i'll post what they come up with. i'm sure it'll be monday or tuesday as i'm the only one that works 24 hours a day. haha

i'm only testing this software on one of our smallest forums so if we can't get it to do what we need with a very small investment and time then we will simply move on. i love the idea of this application though so i hope it's quick and easy.

and yes, i wish i named the title and content more appropriately but it was too late to edit.

@gtron said:
    thank you very much for your reply. we still want recaptcha and that is why the title of this thread says reCaptcha help rather than "help me stop spam" or "what plugin should i use for bots". i probably shouldn't have added the bit about getting hammered because it distracts people from what i'm directly asking for. thanks again though.

it's fine though and i still do appropriate all the replies. it's better than the sound of crickets.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

I would think you could either add the code to the registerapproval view in your custom theme views or via plugin as r_j indicated and just add the code as in the examples ....

add the js in your view or via plugin. and then retrieve validation info and validate

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/demo/ajax

https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/display

you could also grab some functions that are prewritten for you here

e.g. function recaptcha_check_answer (

http://code.google.com/p/recaptcha/downloads/detail?name=recaptcha-phpbb-1.8.zip

they could seemingly easily be adapted for a vanilla plugin/

I can't test or signup for recaptcha with my current setup, but it looks doable. plus I dislike captcha or recaptcha since it is difficult for me to use in low-bandwidth situations

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• thanks but already solved actually. just wrapping things up and testing it now. i'll post the plugin tonight or tomorrow.

• gtrongtron New
    edited April 2014

so here's my undesirable 3 step workaround until it's built in properly. i don't want to support a plugin so i'll toss the code here and anyone can have at it or publish it under their name w/o worry.

unfortunately, members have to manually have their role changed to the desired group meaning the "approve" link does not work due to it just dumping the user back in the applicant group. decline link works fine.

finally, this is meant to be simple and minimal with hope that this becomes part of the core in the future.

1. edit conf/config.php. set 'DefaultRoles' to the number to the "Applicants'" group. example:

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles'] = array('4');

1. set /dashboard/settings/registration to 'Basic'.

2. create /plugins/class.approverecaptcha.plugin.php

` <?php

if (!defined('APPLICATION'))
       exit();
    /**
     * @copyright Copyright 2008, 2009 Vanilla Forums Inc.
     * @license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php GPLv2
     */
    // Define the plugin:
    $PluginInfo['ApproveReCaptcha'] = array(
        'Name' => 'Approve ReCaptcha',
        'Description' => "Includes Approve Applicant Functions with Recaptcha",
        'Version' => '1.0.0',
        'RequiredApplications' => array('Vanilla' => '2.0.18.10'),
        'Author' => 'gtron',
        'AuthorEmail' => 'admin@',
        'AuthorUrl' => 'http://www.vanillaforums.org/profile/gtron'
    );

class ApproveReCaptcha extends Gdn_Plugin {
            public function __construct() {

}
        public function Base_Render_Before($Sender) {
            $Sender->Menu->AddLink('Users', T('Applicants').' <span class="Popin" rel="/dashboard/user/applicantcount"></span>', 'dashboard/user/applicants', 'Garden.Applicants.Manage');
        }
       public function Base_GetAppSettingsMenuItems_Handler($Sender) {
        $Sender->AddJsFile('jquery.gardencheckcolumn.js');
            $Menu = &$Sender->EventArguments['SideMenu'];
            $Menu->AddLink('Users', T('Applicants').' <span class="Popin" rel="/dashboard/user/applicantcount"></span>', 'dashboard/user/applicants', 'Garden.Applicants.Manage');
        $CountApplicants = Gdn::UserModel()->GetApplicantCount();
        if ($CountApplicants > 0)
                    $Sender->Menu->AddLink('Applicants', T('Applicants').' <span class="Alert">'.$CountApplicants.'</span>', '/dashboard/user/applicants', array('Garden.Applicants.Manage'));
            }
    }

`

done. applicants now have to enter recaptcha and be approved by admin.