Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Gravatar / vanillicon

Hi

I'd like to know which information is shared externally to create the gravatar/vanillicon for new user.

Their email address sent over the internet or a hash created by the vanilla install?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I believe that it is the email which identifies the person. For Gravatar, the person needs to have a gravatar account. Then when you use your email at another site with gravatar enabled it places your gravatar image.

For vanillicon it is the same thing. You can go to the vanillicon site and enter your email and get a vanillicon or when you sign in to the forum you are given a random vanillicon based on your email.

• Options

Thanks for your answer.

I looked at the source code and it seems like it's using the md5 hash of the email address to create a new vanillicon, via gravatar's servers...

That's nice :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

there is a md5 hash (of the email address) sent to the gravatar site for gravatars. as well as with vanillicons.

The MD5 message-digest algorithm is a widely used cryptographic hash function producing a 128-bit (16-byte) hash value,

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.