Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Most stable/cross-device theme, editor & emoticons combo

cycascycas
edited April 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have an internal forum for a charity running Vanilla 2.1b (at the moment : we only recently moved from Vanilla 1). Because it is an internal forum, we don't really care what it looks like.

What is proving a problem is coming up with a theme / wysiwyg / emoticon solution that works reliably across multiple browsers and devices. I've got small numbers of users, but it sometimes seems like they are deliberately trying to access using the widest available bunch of technologies.

At the moment I've got Bitter Sweet 1.1 theme (with slightly customised css), Wysihtml5, and Emotify enabled. I have people complaining loudly that they can't see the editor toolbar, OR they can't see/use the emoticons, and that new/unread posts are not always highlighted for them (the css customisation was to make new/unread posts more easy to spot: I switched to Bitter Sweet from Baseline because less people had the 'can't spot new posts' complaint when I did that. ).

I've been unable to find a combination of plugins/themes that makes these complaints go away. What would you use?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2014

2.1 fixes the buttonbar plugin toolbar when editing comments and discussions. Doesn't help you with wysiwyg.

are you totally in love with a wyiwyg editor or will buttonbar suffice - it will work with baseline and bittersweet and emoticons plugin.

I would use bittersweet as a model theme and copy it a new theme folder and customize the custom.css.

see the various tutorials on how to create a new theme (and use a copy of Bittersweet as your model)

you could add this to custom.css

HasNew, .JustNew {
        display: inline;
        margin-right: 5px;
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• cycascycas
    edited April 2014

How does it fix it, is there more detail about 'fix' somewhere? I'm not wild about a html comment solution, but I can probably get them to cope with it if it's stable and works on everything. At the moment I keep getting 'I can use formatting in Chrome but not emoticons, and in IE emoticons but not formatting' type problems popping up.

They are liable to get confused by HTML, but more confused by buttons that only work on some devices/browsers and not others.

• How does it fix it

in vanilla 2.1 stable release.
    by presenting the buttonbar when editing a comment or discussion (which it didn't before)

I would suggest upgrading to vanilla 2.1 stable - then come back with questions.

you are several releases behind and lacking security fixes using the beta.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.