Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How To Enter Discussions

I have set up a new category, which is showing fine in the list. However, I cannot figure out how to enter it to post a message. Is there a setting somewhere that would allow this to become more than just a header? I have looked through the documentation without success, so if this is somewhere in the docs then a link to that location would be very helpful.

Cheers -

george

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Check back to www.example.com/vanilla/settings/editcategory/X where X is the number of the category where you can not post and check your settings. I guess you have set custom permissions or maybe you have to change the "Display as" value

• Options

go to roles and permissions for each role - click a role and look at the very bottom.

Please include the
    version number
    of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help. To file a
    bug report
    , please instead post details and steps to reproduce on
    our GitHub project
    . For
    addon-specific
    questions, go to its addon page and click the "Ask A Question" link.

below this in your settings is a permissions setting for any custom categories.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Actually, I just now figured it out. Apparently the first category one creates is a heading. The second category that gets nested under the heading is something that can be entered for discussion.

Where would I find the version number I am using? Someone left at our organization and I am her replacement, so I am trying to play catch-up.

Cheers -

george

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2014

@GLSmyth‌

You can change that in the Dashboard, if you got down to Forum -> Categories and uncheck Display root categories as headings.

The version number is on the right hand side, at the bottom of the Dashboard page.

• Options

Ah, that's what I needed to understand.

Thanks -

george

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for the info, I see that we are using Version 2.2.11.2.

Cheers -

george

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@GLSmyth‌

For information, that version is alpha software - so not properly released for production (working) sites.

That said, it is the hand you have been dealt, and will probably be OK.

Just make sure to reference the version number if you have any other problems.

If, once you've got settled, you want to know how to revert to the current stable release version (2.1) just ask, and someone will walk you through it.

• Options

Thanks, I didn't realize that this was alpha. I will open another discussion on moving back. At this point it appears that everything within the current setup is just a test, so keeping settings may not be necessary.

Cheers -

george