Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Guests can see member email addresses?

edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

New install of latest Vanilla Forum

http://www.melindaspenpals.com/asian-dating/profile/4/Michael5

I just checked and confirmed my guests roles/permissions cannot view email address. However, when this member sets his settings to let other members see his email guests can also see it. What could be causing this?

I checked on mobile and desktop both the same problem.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2014

That is the way it works. If they allow their email to be seen it is seen whether logged in or not. Best not make it public.

the email can be seen in the user profile by the user only if it set that way from their permissions.

What you need to do is remove the guest permission to view profiles if you want the email public.

• Wow thanks I was confused. I thought checking the box in your profile would only let registered members see it!

Hey can I ask you something? My other question below shows it also has one response but I don't see any when I look. Did maybe someone delete the answer?

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26980/category-list-appearance-ie#latest

Thanks vrijvlinder!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

kozmosis66 said: Wow thanks I was confused. I thought checking the box in your profile would only let registered members see it!

if you want that to be the case. Don't let guests or non-memeber roles view the activity or profile pages.

Depending on your version of vanilla, it is done slightly differently I believe.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.