Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FileUpload 1.5.2 - When attaching files, "No file selected." is always displayed after Browse button

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The subject line pretty much describes the problem. I'm running 2.0.18.11.

Enable FileUpload plugin.

User starts new post/reply. Clicks Attach a file.

Browse button appears just below, with the message "No file selected." displayed right after it.

Click browse, find file, click open.

File attaches, but the page still says "No file selected." right after the Browse button.

Now, obviously, there's a big thumbnail image of the file they just attached - so clearly it worked, but the message says "No file selected." so the users are getting confused and (re)attempting the Browse/Select/Open cycle four or five times, which just attaches multiple copies of the same file.

Now, I don't need the "No file selected." thing to go away 'intelligently' - I just need it to go away (as in "how do I make that simply not show that message at all, ever"), and I can't for the life of me figure out what file is generating that message. It doesn't seem to be part of the FileUpload plugin.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

never mind. you did!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2014

That message is just the value of the button. It means nothing unless you have not selected something to upload.

You can hide that with css if you do not want it.

input[type="file"] {
    width: 89px;
    }

I can't for the life of me figure out what file is generating that message.

It is a standard input type file message generated by the browser. So it looks different on every browser.

• DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

@peregrine said:
    Please include the version number of Vanilla you are using for troubleshooting help.

I did?

I'm running 2.0.18.11

You can also use this

input[type="file"] {
    font-size: 1px;
    color: transparent;
    }

edited May 2014

@DoyceT said:
    I did?

Yes, I know. peregrine has a rare form of Tourette syndrome . It happens after so many people fail to mention it.... :(

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@vrijvlinder said:
    It is a standard input type file message generated by the browser. So it looks different on every browser.

Super!

Thanks for the snippet of CSS - that'll work well enough, as all I want to do is hide the text following the button.

edited May 2014

Yea I know the feeling , I also modified the button...mine now looks like this

edited May 2014

@peregrine said:

As an aside. I am just wondering why people (in this case you) use 2.0.18.11 and not 2.1 - just a curiousity question. don't want to sidetrack whole discussion.

I actually upgraded to 2.1, but at the time I did so, 2.1 was causing the "Vanilla Default" themes (that pack of seven similar themes) to ... either explode fairly spectacularly or simply display 'wrong' - I honestly can't remember at this point, but I know it had something to do with the themes.

My situation is a bit of a unique one, in that I'm using Vanilla to host the 'online campus' for a small MFA program, and once the look and feel of the campus was approved, it pretty much HAS to stay that way, because if anything on the screen moves, at all, it might as well no longer exist. (A couple of the faculty using the site are in their mid- to late-eighties, and all but one are pushing or past standard retirement age.)

(All this kind of explains why the file upload message confused them, I think...)

So, basically, I had to go back to 2.0.18.11 to keep the site looking the same, because I didn't have to fix whatever bad drug interactions were happening between 2.1 and the theme css.

I'm running 2.1 as a test bed in another directory, and when I get everything in there looking pretty much the same as the live site (AND I'm in between semesters) I'll update.

This is sort of a personal cross to bear, I guess - I convinced the program to switch the Vanilla, because the forum... thing... they were using was something like 15 years old and, while stable, a bit of a nightmare to use.

@vrijvlinder said:
    You can also use this

input[type="file"] {
    font-size: 1px;
    color: transparent;
    }

Even better! This one works even when/if the users ctrl+ their displays. :)

You can keep the same theme for 2.1 the only thing you need to do is move the panel in the master of the theme to after the Body div before the content.

Then just style a few extra things they added. Trust me it is very doable. My themes have been updated and it was not so hard .

Hmm... I do have a couple months before we officially go live in the new semester...

• @DoyceT said:

My situation is a bit of a unique one, in that I'm using Vanilla to host the 'online campus' for a small MFA program, and once the look and feel of the campus was approved, it pretty much HAS to stay that way, because if anything on the screen moves, at all, it might as well no longer exist. (A couple of the faculty using the site are in their mid- to late-eighties, and all but one are pushing or past standard retirement age.)

This is sort of a personal cross to bear, I guess - I convinced the program to switch the Vanilla, because the forum... thing... they were using was something like 15 years old and, while stable, a bit of a nightmare to use.

I know exactly what you mean. something 10 pixels to the right or left and everyone is in an uproar and confused. Educators and old ones at that. And Committees that take months to approve anything at all with the people with the least involvement and knowledge fighting the hardest against anything that could involve change.

thanks for the insights.