Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Views 1

2.1 Baseline. A member pointed out to me that the "Views" of all discussions is showing 1 even when there are 10 or 20 posts. So obviously I am getting more views than what is showing. The only discussions which seem to be showing the appropriate number of views are the ones resulting from embedded blog comments from my main site which show on the forum.

I have searched her but not sure I found the answer. Is there a switch I am missing in the dashboard to turn on views to start counting?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/209000/#Comment_209000

you might also try with vanilla statistics turned if after making changes, things still don't increment.

or use increment view plugin, if the above doesn't help you.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/incrementview-plugin

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks peregrine I've been reading your link. I'm not so bright but I found the .htaccess file in the directory where my forum is located. There isn't much in the file.

Since there is no reference to the below code should I just add it to the file, and if so where?

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off

Thanks

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

first you want to find out if its on or off

just create a file to run phpinfo() or it is easier to install version check plugin.
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/versioncheck-plugin , enable it, and run phpinfo in the side panel.

the info page for php will appear describing your php setup

search in your browser for the word

magic_quotes_gpc

then it will either show.

magic_quotes_gpc Off

or
    magic_quotes_gpc On

if it says magic_quotes_gpc On

then add

to the top of your .htaccess file.

e.g.

#my addition to turn off magic quotes
    # Original
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /vanilla
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Thanks it was On. So I went and added that code so my .htaccess file looks like this below, and when I uploaded it to my server I got a Internal Server Error configuration error

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

Some hosts will not allow you to do it via .htaccess

ask your host or try adding

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

to your php.ini

see: comments and notes here:

http://php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.disabling.php

as an aside:

you should also change also remove the # from #RewriteBase / and point it where your forum is.
    read the comment

# Certain hosts may require the following line.
           # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
           # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
           RewriteBase /vanilla

• Options

Thank you so much peregrine. They have already done it and now when I view a topic the count is registering. I will also review the .htaccess file and the other changes you mentioned.