Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Custom Message for Users

I have a database of secret code words for each user on my forum. I would like to be able to display each user's code word at the top of the forum when they log in. How can I do this? By the way, I am using the Bootstrap theme.

I know how to connect to the database with PHP and MySQL. I'm mostly asking where can I put the PHP so it displays the code words?

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You would create a module,or add it via jquery but module is the best way to go.

Please look at plugins that add content to the pages, forumdonate is a basic plugin to show you how to add content to areas of the form.

a module acts like a widget if you will.

You can also use pockets plugin or the messages system .

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    You would create a module,or add it via jquery but module is the best way to go.

Please look at plugins that add content to the pages, forumdonate is a basic plugin to show you how to add content to areas of the form.

a module acts like a widget if you will.

You can also use pockets plugin or the messages system .

I think I'm just gonna use the custom pages plugin (mostly because I have no idea what I just looked at XD). Do you know how I can retrieve who is currently logged in? For example, if username "Bob" was logged in and viewing the custom page, I would need to display Bob's code word.

• Options

Never mind I figured it out:

$Session = Gdn::Session();
    if ($Session->IsValid()) {
      $userid = $Session->UserID;
      $Name = $Session->User->Name;
      echo $Name;
    }

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

yea you can also look at online now or who's online plugins .

I would think that to give each a code word would be the same as making a special role for each and use role badges or role signatures , or role title .

Also profile extender adds custom fields and you can modify anything to suit your needs...

maybe what you need is a nickname plugin ...

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You should create a plugin or a themehook. The only other solution would be changing the theme you are using or changing core files and you should avoid that. Download and activate that plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/eventi-plugin. It will help you find out the “places” that you can position your custom output at.

In order to let it appear there, you’ll need to hook an event. I don’t think that the below shows the code word the way you intended to, but it could give you a start (code is not tested):

public function EntryController_AfterSignIn_Handler($Sender) {
       $Session = Gdn::Session();
       $User = Gdn::Session()->User;
       $UserName =  $User->Name;

$Database = Gdn::Database();
       $Sql = $Database->SQL();

$QueryString = "SELECT SecretKeyWord FROM YourTable WHERE UserName = '{$UserName}'";
       $Result = $Sql->Query($QueryString) ->FirstRow();

$Sender->InformMessage(
          Sprite('Check', 'InformSprite').T('Your secret key word is '.$Result->SecretKeyWord),
          'Dismissable AutoDismiss HasSprite'
       );
    }

And here’s a short note about what to do with that code: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/theme-hooks

Important part is that you do not have to fiddle around with mysql code if your table is in the same db as vanilla.