Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Bonk troubleshooting help

RajioRajio
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey guys. My vanilla forum has been running fine for ages and I just woke up to find it down with a bonk error. Here is the error message. Anybody know how I can fix this?

Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Connection();

An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database
SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client
The error occurred on or near: /home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.database.php
57:             $this->_Connection = new PDO(strtolower($this->Engine) . ':' . $this->Dsn, $this->User, $this->Password, $this->ConnectionOptions);
58:             if($this->ConnectionOptions[1002])
59:                $this->Query($this->ConnectionOptions[1002]);
60:          } catch (Exception $ex) {
61:             trigger_error(ErrorMessage('An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database', $this->ClassName, 'Connection', $ex->getMessage()), E_USER_ERROR);
62:          }
63:       }
64:       
65:       return $this->_Connection;
Backtrace:
/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.database.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.database.php:61] PHP::trigger_error();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.database.php:275] Gdn_Database->Connection();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:1657] Gdn_Database->Query();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:941] Gdn_SQLDriver->Query();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/core/class.model.php:383] Gdn_SQLDriver->GetWhere();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/core/class.model.php:366] Gdn_Model->GetWhere();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:472] Gdn_Model->GetID();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:643] UserModel->GetID();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/core/class.session.php:280] UserModel->GetSession();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/library/core/class.auth.php:36] Gdn_Session->Start();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/bootstrap.php:168] Gdn_Auth->StartAuthenticator();
[/home/vtcgvqbi/public_html/index.php:41] PHP::require_once();
Variables in local scope:
[php_errormsg] 'PDO::__construct(): The server requested authentication method unknown to the client [mysql_old_password]'
[ex] array (
  'errorInfo' => NULL,
)
Tagged:

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

@Rajio‌

AfaIk, that isn't a Vanilla error, as such, but a problem with your host and the mySQL db.

Is it a transient error? Has it cleared now?

Rajioperegrinehgtonight
  • RajioRajio
    edited July 2014

nope its still there. hopefully it clears up later today. i'll ask my host in the mean time. thanks.

EDIT: woops seems fine now. Talked to my host.

"I have fixed the issue by pushing your domain to PHP5.3 by adding the PHP 5.3 handler type(AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php) on your .htaccess file. You need to update your domain asap as it should be compatible with the PHP5.4. "