Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Minor bug hunt - Prefs array reset

lechlech Chicagoland
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok, for those paying attention you'll notice that my icon has been rotating a bit today. However in doing so I thing I might have found a slight bug here on the forum, although not sure if it's just me or if it happens to everyone else as well. If you have quick keys enabled to navigate try the following:

1. Go into your accounts Forum Options and make sure quick keys (very bottom under Menu Options) are enabled.
2. Then navigate to Personal Information. By now quick keys in the header nav should be enabled with the "D" for discussions underlined, take note of this.
3. Under personal information, scroll down to either input for your account picture or icon (if you don't have one, don't worry). Place your cursor into the field for either, and hit enter.
4. Are quick keys still enabled?

While I found this weird, in firefox, this appears to disable quick keys for no good reason. I'm just wondering if the same happens for you. If you try this and it works in other browsers, list it here.

Comments

• NickENickE New
    edited July 2006
    Weird, same thing here with Opera.
  • I noticed this a couple days ago on my local install. Here's a generalized bug report: When you change your personal information (or just submit the page without changing anything), your preferences are reset. I haven't yet tested whether it affects all preferences, but it definitely affects Quick Keys and the Discussion Lists preferences.
  • That dosn't seem to happen on my own install of Vanilla, though...
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, this appears as a minor annoyance at the moment and I just noticed it today on the main board here after messing with some options. It appears to knock out some forum preference within your account. While it doesn't happen on my local install (from what I can tell as it's a weird install to begin with) it does happen here. So identifying what's causing this might help later on when others find it.
  • edited July 2006
    That's a very strange bug. For my forum it resets the preferences for hidden information, quick keys and external links (which used the same basic preferences code as quick keys). All the other preferences, including discussion list, remain unchanged.

I can't imagine why it's doing this, but I'll try to look into it using whatever little skills I have!
  • I think I've found the problem. What's happening is that all your (our?) preferences are getting reset to whatever the defaults are (as defined in appg/settings.php). Open up library/Vanilla/Vanilla.Control.IdentityForm.php and take a look at line 27 and beyond. It's clearing the user object (which sets the preferences to an empty array), loading data from the form (which doesn't include your preferences), and saving that to the database. Any data not provided by the form is lost.
  • I'm not sure exactly how it works, but is it possible to just check the values on the form and overwrite the appropriate values in the array, rather than clearing it?
  • I guess I forgot to mention that IdentityForm handles your Personal Information, not your preferences.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2006
    magical, it makes sense either way. While it makes sense for the preferences array to reset and get rebuilt when setting new some new forum preferences, it doesn't make sense when modifying personal information. That array shouldn't be resetting the prefs array to begin with as most of those options are stored across different keys and arrays to begin with. Still weird though.
  • I know that this is blasphemous, but would it be safe to comment out line 27 as a temporary solution? Or would it be more complicated than that?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Inky, for the moment don't do anything. Wait for mark to confirm and have a look at it and allow him to to issue a permanent solution if there is any. Right now it's simply a trivial bug and doesn't do any serious damage (that we're aware of) so as a whole Vanilla is not broken. I've filed a bug report on the dev forum and mark should see it when he gets back.
  • i found my preferences were reset recently although i couldn't figure out why that had happened. initially i assumed it was when i enabled a new extension.
  • Lech: be sure to put [BUG] in the discussion title so Mark sees this thread when he gets home.
  • Does this seem to be linked with http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2712/viewing-email-addys-and-not-receiving-system-messages-from-vanilla/#Item_18 in any way?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    No, not really, mini. All that crap from me in that thread is due to my Vanilla install just being 99% awesome and 1% weird. it's unrelated for the time being.
  • I have had a similar problem. Changed my preferences then looked at them again and they had not changed. Looked in the database and they were actually changed. Refresh the page manually and low and behold they decided to update themselves!