Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Category won't open

aaronkingaaronking New
edited August 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

My forum has 4 categories.
If I try and view one of the categories that has a post in it, it will then just display the main list which shows all 4 categories.
It never goes into that category to display all post.

If I click on a category that has no post in it, then it will display that category.

Does anyone know what might of gone wrong?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@‌aaronking

Welcome to the community.

In Dashboard - Forum - Categories

make sure that

Display root categories as headings.

is **not **checked.

• I have the same issue but that happens to me even when there are posts in the category. I looked at my settings as @whu606 said but that didnt help because "Display root categories as headings" wasnt ticked...

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

In conf/config.php what are your settings for these:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['MaxDisplayDepth'] = 
        $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = 
        $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['HideModule'] = 

• aaronkingaaronking New
    edited August 2014

Here are what they are set to:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] = '2.0.17.9'; $Configuration['Vanilla']['Discussions']['Layout'] = 'table'; $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['Layout'] = 'modern'; $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['MaxDisplayDepth'] = '3'; $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = '1'; $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['HideModule'] = FALSE;

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

@whu606 said:

make sure that

Display root categories as headings

is **not **checked.

once again, make sure that

Display root categories as headings.

is NOT! checked and report back. it takes you one minute to do..

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = FALSE; // means it is not checked.
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = '1'; // means it is checked.

uncheck it and save or change it config statement to

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = FALSE;

you probably want to correct the version number just for sanity sake

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] = '2.0.17.9';

to
    $Configuration['Vanilla']['Version'] = '2.1.1'; // if that is the version you have.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Hi, I changed it to:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['DoHeadings'] = FALSE;

But that made the main category a link, which I don't want.

It still doesn't fix my problem, where when I click on the category to display all the posts in that category.
    When I click on the category it just displays the main index page with a list of category's doesn't let me display the posts in that category.

• aaronkingaaronking New
    edited August 2014

What I should say is I have it setup as:

Category 1

discussions 1, discussions 2

Category 2

I don't want the Category to be a link (Category 1 / Category 2).
    I only want the discussions to be a link (discussions 1 / discussions 2).

Soon as someone posts something in the discussion (discussions 1 or discussions 2) then the discussion link doesn't open so that you can view what posts fall under that discussion.

So lets say someone does the following:
    Adds a post to Category 1 > discussions 1
    Now when you click on discussions 1 it will just display the main index like:

Category 1

Category 2

If there is no posts in the discussion, and you click on it (such as discussions 1) it will display the page to say 'No discussions were found' since there are no discussions in that.

So the problem is that once a post is in that discussion you can then no longer view the items in the discussion.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

I assume this is not a new setup.

What version of Vanilla are you using? It's always good to post your version!!

you will notice that request in the message when you choose post new discussion.

• I would do a backup of database.

And you have

Category heading 1
           category a
           category b

Category heading 2
           category c
           category d

if that doesn't fix it, assuming you have a real glitch, instead of us misunderstanding you.

then create 2 new categories under each heading

Category heading 1
       category a
       category b
       newcategory a
      newcategory b

Category heading 2
       category c
       category d
       newcategory c
      newcategory d

then go into dashboard and

delete category a and it will prompt where to move discussions and choose newcategory a
    delete category b and it will prompt where to move discussions and choose newcategory b

delete category c and it will prompt where to move discussions and choose newcategory c
    delete category d and it will prompt where to move discussions and choose newcategory d

if that doesn't work, you need to show screenshots of what your are talking about and maybe a link to your site, so someone can test.

• By re-creating the category and moving the posts to that new category fixed the issue.
    Have no idea why this happened but will remember this for next time.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

@aaronking‌

thank you
    for reporting back, and glad your problem was solved.