Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Jforum User Migration

Hello Again!

Does the Vanilla Porter or Vanilla Community have tools to assist user migration with new passwords and email messages?
Is there a best forum format to migrate Jforum as a stepping stone for a wider tool range.

Thanks

Comments

• Options

I got JSConnect working with a few users on an asp.net site.
    Is there a way to use JSConnect to ease the user transition?

Assuming Vanilla will ask all users to reset their password upon first log in attempt, since JSConnect will match up usernames and also ask for their asp.net password to resolve the two email accounts, would the best course of action be to enable SSO upfront?

• Options

When using JSConnect it did a great job reconciling existing users with users from the main site auth system.
    But it uses a forum password to pair user accounts, what happens with imported user tables with no passwords in store?

• Options
    mh4itmh4it New
    edited September 2014

Running Import now on Vanilla 2.1.3 still processing Insert User Table for ~ 2 hours now. For 8,000 users does that sound alright? Would VPN slow it down? Chrome is lightly active in task manager.
    Export ran great btw.

• Options

Depending on your setup it can take a while.

If the import stalls, you can refresh the page to resume it.

Imported users with no passwords will need to reset it via email first.

• Options

Hmm,
    Getting stuck at the same place everytime.
    A certain number of users transfer over, an exact amount around 100 less than the total users.
    I am unsure but could that be because they are locked? Jforum tables don't allow the forum admin to delete a user, only ban or lock.
    Also Jforum v is 2.1.8
    Where should I start testing first?

Should I unlock all users to test?
    Or should I start a new jforum and upgrade 2.1.8 to 2.1.9(latest)

I have to make note to setup SMTP before import, or I will have an admin with a password that can't reset!

• Options

Looks like the user fields are simply mapped to their vanilla equivalents, so the count should stay the same:
    https://github.com/vanilla/porter/blob/master/packages/class.jforum.php#L49-L66

Where did you get the number of users from? Maybe jForum didn't display it right in the first place. Are you missing any?

No need to worry about the SMTP settings, you can also set them in your config.php

• Options
    mh4itmh4it New
    edited October 2014

Is it safe to run Jforum Porter on original database?

I tried moving the import over to local machine, and no change. Couldn't get past insert user tables, with the exact amount less than total. Maybe not doing something right in database export. Going to checkout import services with ProfProjects because I'm too busy with other tasks.

• Options

Do you have examples of users missing? Maybe the counts are just wrong.

The porter only reads from the database, so yes, it is safe.