Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR

edited November 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi guys,
Apologies for asking this question but i am stumped tried google and help desk but can't find a resolution and I am assuming it is something obvious!

I am installing the latest release in a subdomain on mydomain.

My PHP version is 5.5
Error i get:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/sites/mydomain/public_html/vanilla/index.php on line 40

line 40 is in the following:

$Dispatcher = Gdn::Dispatcher();

$EnabledApplications = Gdn::ApplicationManager()->EnabledApplicationFolders();
$Dispatcher->EnabledApplicationFolders($EnabledApplications);

Many thanks in advance,
James

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

there are two latest releases!!!

what version NUMBER of vanilla are you using?

are you certain you are using php 5.5?

did you delete the .ini files in your cache?

are you sure followed the correct installation instructions and/or upgrade instructions?

you might re-copy the source of the core.zip files over again.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thank you for coming back so soon.
    Release used '2.1.6' although i had a go with '2.1.5' just in case.
    Confirmed PHP 5.5 and i have tried 5.4 and 5.3
    I have no files in my Cache file except one that is called empty and has no text.
    I have got to step 4 from http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation
    I am retrying again from scratch.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

see this as far as hints....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220293/#Comment_220293

also I believe you need to ask your host how to make sure /conf/config.php is not cached.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Make sure you have a Smarty folder in the forum cache folder and another inside Smarty folder called compile

• Guys, I've been away on leave so appologies for the delay. I cleared my head and now I have resolved it after rereading the docs.... Many thanks for the help and much appreciated.
    J