Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to add items to menu bar? (Bootstrap theme)

I installed Vanilla today and so far am enjoying it. One thing I can't figure out though is how to add/change the menu bar. I'd like to add some links to it. Any ideas? (Yes, I have Googled, searched the forums, and read the docs.)

Thanks!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2014

Please try the add menu item plugin by peregrine with some mods to work with Bootstrap theme since It uses different class names than the default.

Also you can try the Index plugin which will also need the same mods to work with Bootstrap.

you can manually add links in an < li > inside the default.master.tpl somewhere near the menu.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Please try the add menu item plugin by peregrine with some mods to work with Bootstrap theme since It uses different class names than the default.

Also you can try the Index plugin which will also need the same mods to work with Bootstrap.

you can manually add links in an < li > inside the default.master.tpl somewhere near the menu.

Already tried the Menu Item plugin, it doesn't seem to work. What are these mods you speak of?

edited December 2014

Try this :smile:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26998/added-menu-item-not-showing-up#latest

or give a link so I can tell you hoe to make Index plugin work with Bootstrap theme.

• http://community.craftedkingdom.elementfx.com/home/crafted3/public_html/community/

I changed to the default theme for a minute and the items showed up. I changed back and they were gone. Can the Index plugin make single items as well as drop down menus?

edited December 2014

Can the Index plugin make single items as well as drop down menus?

it actually adds a dropdown menu to the menu ul . But you need to change some things for it to work with bootstrap theme.

for that theme you need to change .Menu and or #Menu for div.navbar-collapse.collapse and ul.nav.navbar-nav depending which works best. For Index plugin you change that in the js file for the plugin.

bootstrap theme has a steep learning curve because it has many elements to it. It uses other names and classes from the default so you may need to edit plugins such as those I mentioned to make them work. But they will work if you modify the classes .

• @vrijvlinder said:for that theme you need to change .Menu and or #Menu for div.navbar-collapse.collapse and ul.nav.navbar-nav depending which works best. For Index plugin you change that in the js file for the plugin.

Change what exactly? (Sorry, I know how frustrating it is to deal with noobs. I'm new to all this CSS, HTML, JS, etc.)

no it is not frustrating at all, it is just have to gauge what you know so I can tell you what you need to know lol !

Maybe you should try another theme to get yourself more familiar with the default basics and then move to use a more complex theme like Bootstrap.

Please try BetterBitter or any other theme out there which uses the common classes so the plugins work out of the box.

edited December 2014

To edit the Index plugin to show in Bootstrap : changeto this in the js file of the Index plugin edit your links as you see fit.
    I added those link as an example.

$(document).ready(function() {

$('ul.nav.navbar-nav').append('<li class="menu-bar"><li class="current"></li><li><a href="#">I N D E X</a><ul><li><a href="forum/post/discussion" target="_blank">New Discussion</a></li><li><a href="forum/categories/all" target="_blank">Categories</a></li><li><a href="/forum/categories/general" target="_blank">General</a></li><li><a href="forum/discussions">All Discussions</a></li><li><a href="forum/entry/register" target="_blank">Sign Up</a></li><li><a href="/" target="_blank">Home</a></li><li><a href="http://vanillaforums.org" target="_blank">VANILLA</a></li><li><a href="forum/profile/mobile" target="_blank" title="This link only works on a mobile device">MOBILE VERSION</a></li></ul></li>');

});

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Master99 said:
    I installed Vanilla today and so far am enjoying it. One thing I can't figure out though is how to add/change the menu bar. I'd like to add some links to it. Any ideas? (Yes, I have Googled, searched the forums, and read the docs.)

Thanks!

@Master99 said:
    Already tried the Menu Item plugin, it doesn't seem to work. What are these mods you speak of?

this seems to be a question relating to bootstrap theme that seems to be recurring.

it's because you are not reading the description of the add menu item plugin.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26998/added-menu-item-not-showing-up

read the description it always helps....

read this....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220523/#Comment_220523

Kasper decided not to add {custom_menu} to the bootstrap theme views/default.master.tpl, consequently any plugin that adds link to the menu, will necessitate the following change.

all default themes in vanilla 2.1 already have {custom_menu},

bootstrap does not.

but it can if you read the plugin descriptions for add menu item.

you will solve your issue without other gyrations.

from the add menu item description......

NOTE: in version 2.1 of vanilla - IF your links are not visible ...

you may need to add the {custom_menu} value in default.master.tpl, if it is a tpl based theme., if
    {custom_menu} is not already present. in the default master in the views folder.

{dashboard_link}
    {discussions_link}
    {custom_menu}
    {activity_link}
    {inbox_link}
    {profile_link}
    {signinout_link}

place the {custom_menu} in any position where you want add menu item links to appear.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

which gives the fix ;)

and I referred them to the plugin description - which should be read if you are going to use a plugin.

as well as this:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/220031/#Comment_220031

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited December 2014

@peregrine said:
    which should be read if you are going to use a plugin.

I told you to re name it to Free-money instead of readme.... :p

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    I told you to re name it to Free-money instead of readme.... :p

you said to name the read me to free-money.

The plugin description is there in front of your face as plain as day when you go to the plugin page, how can it be missed.

it still wouldn't be read by some people.

@peregrine said:
    it still wouldn't be read by some people.

Have you tried Free money and a house ?

BTW I just figured out when the quotes plugin bugs out and does not quote. If there is an existing quote in the comment you are quoting you get zip nada nothing !

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@vrijvlinder said: Have you tried Free money and a house ?

maybe a button prior to download, that gives the user multiple choice questions.

if they can't answer the questions (which deal with information in the plugin description) to prove they read the plugin description, then they can't download the plugin.

then a second quiz before they can enable a plugin, that deals with information in the readme.

if you can't pass the quiz of the multiple choice questions that deal with the read me or installation instructions, then you can't enable.

Oh a riddle !! I do like suspense and who-done-it kind of challenges. It motivates me to read tutorials here :

http://www.w3schools.com/css/

• riddle: what can be googled and not found?

edited December 2014

but the question IS a loaded one so maybe this too can answer that ... http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/232136

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

you are doing well

last riddle; what can be written and not read?

answer:

plugin description, readme , release notes, documentation, and installation instructions.

Yes but you must add to the List , "Assembly Instructions(specially Ikea and anything from china)" , "Hazard Warnings(such as those about electrocution)" , "Drug Warnings about using hazardous anything under drugs"....