Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to set default category preferences?

On my Vanilla forum I have made a News category. I would like this to be used as a newsletter type thing. Is it possible to set all my members preferences to receive an email when something is posted in the News category?

Running Vanilla 2.1

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

did you look through all the plugins. there may be some plugin you can modify.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

The two best matches I have found are EmailSubscribe and MailChimp. Neither will do what I need.

All I need is to change the default category preferences for all members so that they receive an email every time a post is made in a specified category. I'm no Vanilla coder, but it seems that that would be fairly simple.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Master99‌

Just a tip:

suggesting to developers 'it seems that that would be fairly simple.' is never a great idea!

User preferences are stored in the mySQL db.

I'd suggest making a clone of your site and db so you can have a play around, then changing the setting via phpMyAdmin. If it works on you test db you can then run the query on your live one.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@Master99 said:
    The two best matches I have found are EmailSubscribe and MailChimp. Neither will do what I need.

All I need is to change the default category preferences for all members so that they receive an email every time a post is made in a specified category. I'm no Vanilla coder, but it seems that that would be fairly simple.

well then just do it! it would be fairly simple for an administrator of a forum B)

this should already be built in to vanilla 2.1.x with advanced notifications. but some users may receive duplicate e-mails, if they have other options selected.

enable advanced notifications in dashboard roles by placing clicking on box.

then have each user go to edit profile and edit notifications

users of your forum could be instructed to go to edit notifications if they want to receive email.

it's a no-brainer (another phrase I hate).

notifications

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.