Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

After Update to 2.1.6 not saving HTML Tags

Dr_SommerDr_Sommer Dr. of tender Programing ;) ✭✭

Hi, Peoplezzzz... ;)

After a wonderful quiet ForumTime, no Users trying to kill me for switching Forum to Vanilla, i come back with a, hopefully, small issue... :D:smiley::smiley:

I did a Update from V2.1.3 to 2.1.6 (also did the 2.1.5)

After that the Font size and Color is not saved anymore after Saving the post... before that I see it in the Editor...

What must I change, to have my previous behavior, saving all the Tags?

Here is an example.... Nr.1 is the Editor, Nr.2 the saved Comment...

If I edit the saved comment, it shows the correct formated Letters like in Pic Nr. 1

Tested width Opera/FF/ Android Browser

Hope 4 some help... ;)

Greetz

Dr. Winter... ääh... Sommer.... :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If it is even shown when you edit the comment, it is a CSS problem. You could verify that when you look at the source of the comments: I bet you'll find colored words enclosed in tags. But I think the quickest way to find help is to provide a link to a comment with colored text that is not formatted correct.

• Options

perhaps it is due to stripping of styles. wasn't something like introduced for security reasons.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Muchos Sorry for responding so late... had some Mail/Browser/Password issues... :smiley::smiley:

@R_J: Can't really see no CSS Probs...

Here is the above Test:
    http://caba.de/CaBaFoRuM/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/75453/#Comment_75453

And it is still so, if I open the comment for editing, the correct formated Text is shown...

@peregrine: where could I look this up?

ThX ;)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

could be a red herring, maybe not.

I dislike ckeditor, cleditor. I use buttonbar.

ckeditor and cleditor just create issues, and I don't see the advantage of ability to change font and color a major reason why a person would use a forum. That's just my thought.

these are issues relating to security safestyle fixes...

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/3f289bd59097a12fbaad8358650e4f405dd6deeb

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/80c3186380b59e51f33e6364aa1e1541d93726ed

I am not recommending you do this...

but you could see if this fixes your issue, which I expect it will

look in config and adjust as needed.

$Configuration['Garden']['Html']['SafeStyles'] = FALSE;

they made it so safestyles is in enforced for security reasons.
    $Configuration['Garden']['Html']['SafeStyles'] = TRUE;

but you can disable and it will make your forum insecure by allowing style changes in the same way cleditor allows SafeStyles and is insecure.

see

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218322/#Comment_218322

with styles allowed - someone could mock up an image to cover something else like sigin button or post button and redirect a person to a look a like site.

point is: allowing style tags will allow a bad user to manipulate your site, by placing images etc covering up or mimicing certain things in a devious way.

bottom line any editor that allows you to insert styles may not be the greatest in terms of security.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

also take heed if you use cleditor or if you have this set to.

$Configuration['Garden']['Html']['SafeStyles'] = FALSE;

and you use the signatures plugin:

someone could also wreak havoc with the signatures plugin, and block viewing of every discussion they posted to, if they want to simply by changing their signature with certain styles added.

and unless you are aware of this, you might not even know how to solve.

• Options

As always, you where Right, peregrine... ;)

putting Safestyles to FALSE resolves my problem... but not happy breaking security with it... ;(

We are using a WYSIWYG Editor simply because we LOVE to show our emotions... in Color and in Font Size... hehe... :smiley::smiley:

And many user are familiar with the use of Office like Editors... ;)

So if I use the CKEditor, I'll always risk to be hacked? Arghh... thats too bad... :(

Any solution to this without prohibiting all Tags? Maybe just allow certain styles, sizes and colors??

How is the NEW Vanilla Editor addressing this? is it immune?? ;)

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I'll always risk to be hacked?

No, simply will risk someone hijacking the css code and messing up your site .

You can specify what tags you allow in the config.php

• Options

How is the NEW Vanilla Editor addressing this? is it immune??

I could show you but they took away the fun here too :(

• Options
    edited December 2014

Ah, ok... of course... ;)

@vrijvlinder said:
    You can specify what tags you allow in the config.php

I just found THIS as something like an Explanation how to do it...

So I'll Try to use this, hoping its the right thing:

$Configuration['Garden']['Html']['AllowedElements'] = "a, abbr, acronym, address, area, audio, b, bdi, bdo, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, cite, code, col, colgroup, dd, del, details, dfn, div, dl, dt, em, figure, figcaption, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hgroup, hr, i, img, ins, kbd, li, map, mark, menu, meter, ol, p, pre, q, s, samp, small, span, strike, strong, sub, sup, summary, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, time, tr, tt, u, ul, var, video, wbr";

• Options

Well it is really the style that has been squelched, mostly....

for example if you use div style="background:red;" or font style="color:blue;" , or anything that has the perverse style word in the html or if you add < style type="text/css" > and add some css rules here< /style >

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

the problem it seems to me is the allowance of the style tag (which is what you are using).

tags vs. properties. there is a difference :)

theoretically you could parse things in the body relating to style tag to remove certain properties (like top position absolute left right float, etc) prior to save.

or if you need a couple of fonts or colors you could hack your way thru .item class and add special properties

to h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 and give them different colors via css but give them the same size. not really the way to do things but prett much the only way I can see having different colors and allow users to punch a button and not use style tags, unless you parsed the body of properties in the style that you didn't want. but then header classes would make line feeds, so it would be a whole ball of wax.

and the config statement you mentioned I don't believe is going to help you in that respect - relating to style tag which you seem to want. (it is not the way to set individual properties).

that is one one of the issues allowing the style tag.

see the htmlawed readme (if you want to learn). but you could also break things - so any testing should be done on a forum that doesn't have live users...

getting everything perfect would be far from trivial and perhaps an exercise in futility.

from htmlawed documentation

3.4.8 Inline style properties ----------------------------------o

htmLawed can check URL schemes and dynamic expressions (to guard against Javascript, etc., script-based insecurities) in inline CSS style property values in the 'style' attributes. (CSS properties like 'background-image' that accept URLs in their values are noted in section:- #5.3.) Dynamic CSS expressions that allow scripting in the IE browser, and can be a vulnerability, can be removed from property values by setting '$config["css_expression"]' to '1' (default setting). Note that when '$config["css_expression"]' is set to '1', htmLawed will remove '/' from the 'style' values.

Note
    : Because of the various ways of representing characters in attribute values (URL-escapement, entitification, etc.), htmLawed might alter the values of the 'style' attribute values, and may even falsely identify dynamic CSS expressions and URL schemes in them. If this is an important issue, checking of URLs and dynamic expressions can be turned off ('$config["schemes"] = "...style:*..."', see section:- #3.4.3, and '$config["css_expression"] = 0'). Alternately, admins can use their own custom function for finer handling of 'style' values through the 'hook_tag' parameter (see section:- #3.4.9).

It is also possible to have htmLawed let through any 'style' value by setting '$config["style_pass"]' to '1'.

As such, it is better to set up a CSS file with class declarations, disallow the 'style' attribute, set a '$spec' rule (see section:- #2.3) for 'class' for the 'oneof' or 'match' parameter, and ask writers to make use of the 'class' attribute.

this may be the ticket for you.

As such, it is better to set up a CSS file with class declarations, disallow the 'style' attribute, set a '$spec' rule (see section:- #2.3) for 'class' for the 'oneof' or 'match' parameter, and ask writers to make use of the 'class' attribute.

• Options

you might also do something with or without latex and hook up some push buttons to buttonbar in the same way countdown timer, spoilers, and mathjaxcdn.

• Options

okeee.... arghh... why is the world always so complicated?? :smiley::smiley:

I need to look into it, ThX :wink: