Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Possible to display a Message in only one Category?

FerrariSteveFerrariSteve Seattle
edited December 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have a category on my forums targeted to peer support for thermostats, and I'm running the QnA plugin (this question isn't specific to just that plugin, however).

I'd like the ability to display a specific Message every time a user starts a new discussion or asks a new question in a specific category.

Currently, the only option I see for Messages is to add it to the top of EVERY Discussion or New Question page.

I searched for plugins to do this, but couldn't find any. Has anyone got an elegant solution? Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• @peregrine said:
    put it in the category description in the dashboard. simplest most elegant way.

That's crazy enough to work! :)

I'm gonna try to include tags in the description and see if I can use CSS to make the info stand out like a Message does. Otherwise, nobody will notice it.

Thx!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

@FerrariSteve

all you need to do is identify the Category-xxxxx with the webdevelopr

add something to theme's custom.css

.Category-thermostats .PageDescription  {
    background-color:red !important;
    color: white;
    }

or

if category name is Thermostats R Us"

.Category-thermostats-r-us .PageDescription  {
        }

or

.Category-thermostats-r-us .PageDescription  {
    border: 25px solid green;
    border-style: ridge;
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thx, @peregrine. Although, I'm now thinking I might just blast it on ALL of the New Discussion and Ask Question pages, since the Recent Discussions page is the default in my setup, and most people just click one of those two buttons from that page.

• But I just discovered that "messages" isn't working for me at all... even when I tell it to spit one out on EVERY page.... need to investigate.