Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I want to switch from bbpress to Vanilla, need help!

Hi,

I recently started a small gaming community that currently uses bbpress for the forums. It didn't take too long to realize that this software is very simplistic and limiting. The only reason I even went with bbpress in the first place is because I thought that I could only use wordpress plugins since I have a wordpress site (sorry, I'm very new to all of this). Over the holiday I found out about vanilla's open source software and after looking into it, it seems like the way to go. However, in order for me to move forward I need to have a few questions answered.

1. Can I migrate all existing forums/topics/users to vanilla once installed, or do I have to start fresh? This wouldn't be too big a deal if I cannot since the forums have only been open one week, but it would be ideal.

2. Will my current theme work with vanilla forums? I'm using minamaze, a free wordpress theme that has bbpress integration. Since I isn't designed for vanilla I'm wondering if I can even use it. If so I'm sure I'll have to modify the theme's code, right?

3. How do I set it all up? I have watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to set it up, but the scenarios are a little different. I am running wordpress 4.1 and want to install/integrate vanilla 2.1.6 to my website.

Here is a link to my website: http://forgehaven.com/

Best Answer

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

If it were me I would start fresh, instead of converting, since it is only a week old. And you want have to worry about any conversion issues that could arise.

you can check out porter if you decide to convert, which in your case might not be advantageous.

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/importing/support/

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/porter-core

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @vrijvlinder‌ Thanks for the quick reply! That seems fairly easy, any tips for things I might run into?

Also, could you go into a little bit further about > @vrijvlinder said:
    simply make the theme match your WP site

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes, you need to read all the docs carefully. Not doing so will result in set backs. Look at the Tutorial Category here.

About the theme. Yes you can copy the looks from one or the other to make it look seamless and people would not know they are in another site.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

click here for FAQ http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq/p1

and click at top menu bar for documentation.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine‌ @vrijvlinder‌ Thanks guys! These may be the most prompt responses I've gotten when starting a new thread. Just another great reason I should switch to vanilla :)

• @vrijvlinder‌ @peregrine‌ ok I know where I need to go to setup my database for vanilla, "MySQL Databases" in my cPanel...but where do I go to make the "forum" subdirectory? I don't know where installed Wordpress.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

use filezilla and upload. your host should be able to help you locate directory.

your forum folder could be placed in the root directory.

/vanilla

ask your host provider. if you don't follow, tell them you want to add a folder to your root directory.

and put the extracted contents of vanilla core zip files.

• @peregrine‌ unfortunately my host is unavailable:/ I'm using cPanel, is there a certain icon I should be clicking? Really this seems to be the only step I need a great deal of help with, there's a video in YouTube that shows me how do to the rest I think. Once I create this new subdirectory then I can move on to setting up the vanilla database, which looks pretty simple.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

every host provider has there own cpanel setup. look for filezilla. we can't guess your setup. we would be wasting our time as well as yours.

wait till your host provider becomes available or you have the option of using hosting via http://vanillaforums.com/

• @peregrine‌ Oh I didn't know it was different for everyone, sorry I'm new to all of this :/ If you're talking about what I use to manage my files than it's probably "File Manager" where I'm supposed to be. I don't see any icon called filezilla or upload. If you'd like, I can send you a screenshot of my setup? But I'm thinking now that maybe File Manager is where I need to be..

• whatever tool works for you, is the best one!

• @peregrine‌ well I guess I'm just not quite sure exactly what to do. Would this be the correct location then? It is where all of my files are located such as wp-content, wp-admin, wp-includes, as well as php and css files, etc. There is also an icon called "Password Protect Directories", maybe this is where I create the forum subdirectory?

Sorry for making this complicated, I'm just learning all of this stuff.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2014

and you can use google as well to search for terms you don't underderstand and other instructional videos

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2014

@Skisma said:

Would this be the correct location then? It is where all of my files are located such as wp-content, wp-admin, wp-includes, as well as php and css files, etc. There is also an icon called "Password Protect Directories", maybe this is where I create the forum subdirectory?

Lets just say you have :

The WP folder. Leave it as is don't put anything inside it.

Make a new Folder called forum or vanilla or whatever you want to call your forum . This is your new subdirectory for the vanilla software.