Posting a new discussion with data from a form
Hi everyone! I'm super new to the Vanilla scene so forgive me in advance if this is a simple topic and is answered elsewhere.
I am working something where it utilizes Vanilla for the forum. Something was recently requested and I'm not sure how to go about it. I've spent about a week searching for the right answers. I'm using Vanilla 2.1.8p2 and it looks like the API route was the way to go, but unfortunately it doesn't work with anything < 2.2.x.
Let me tell you a bit about what is being asked of me. Basically, this is what is requested:
* Users fill out a form on the main website (not forum)
* Their information is taken and placed as a new discussion in a category with special permissions.
* The user who posted it is a special user made only for these sorts of interactions (for example, the username can be "MyWebsite.com").
* Is it possible to have code that will log in as that user (MyWebsite.com) only to post this new discussion? I was originally looking at jsConnect but it doesn't seem that it would be able to achieve what I am looking for (although it is possible that I could have misread the information)
* Is there a special term for this that I may be missing? Are there any examples out there?
* I looked in the database and it appears that the GDN_Discussion table holds this information. While I prefer to avoid directly modifying the DB, is this the only way to achieve my goal?
Thanks in advance! I don't require super detailed answers if it is explained somewhere else ( a link would be handy! ) but if you can help point me in the right direction, it would be very helpful.