HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Assigning roles using a database

Hey all, bit of a newby to this framework and couldn't find a topic covering this.
I was wondering if you could assign a role to a user based off of a database using PHP, e.g. a user named John Doe belongs to John Doe Ltd who are non-members. Can I assign him the role of Non-Member from a database so I don't have to click on him and assign the role manually?

Tagged:

Comments

• rasteronrasteron forum.rastercode.com ✭✭
    edited February 2015

you could try under GDN_UserRole table, with UserID and RoleID field that looks like role flags or constants. If you can take a look at applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php I think that is one example defined there.

ibtrey
  • R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Moderator
    edited February 2015

You should avoid writing directly to the database. You better create a short plugin that does exactly what you need. It doesn't need to be sophisticated:

<?php defined('APPLICATION') or die;

$PluginInfo['Aah'] = array(
        'Name' => 'Aah!',
        'Description' => 'Just a barebone plugin for messing around.',
        'Version' => '0.1',
        'Author' => 'YOU!'
    );

class AahPlugin extends Gdn_Plugin {
        public function setup() {
          // whatever code you put in here will be executed when you enable the plugin
        }
    }

I have not put any code in there, because I'm not quite sure what you try to achieve: if the user is not a member, you will not have him in the user database...

But in order to give a user a special role, you would need something like this:

$UserModel = new UserModel();
    $UserRoles =  $UserModel->GetRoles($UserID);
    $UserRoles[] = ? // <- RoleID to add;
    $RecordActivity = false; // set to true if you want this to be shown on the activity stream
    $UserModel->SaveRoles($UserID, $UserRoles, $RecordActivity)