Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

category edit 410s, but still shows. Help?

Hello,

I can't get to one of the categories on my board - it goes to my 410 page. I've pressed edit, delete and the category board still shows but I can't edit it in any way. Can anyone suggest how I might remedy this?

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Yes a plugin called RefreshCounts

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/refreshcounts-plugin

Thanks... Curious, what does an inability to edit or delete a category have to do with refreshing post counts?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

If you move a category or delete a category it may still be cached. Try to empty the forum cache by deleting the .ini files . And also try that plugin.

There maybe issues when someone has over 200 categories possibly.

• Options

Thanks - I only have 5. I added the plugin and at least the category has gone from the left but it still shows in the admin category page. Apologies for another needy request - which .ini file? One or all of the ones inside cache?

many thanks again

• Options

Yes, all the .ini files you can delete it is good practice to do so when you edit or add new plugins or themes.

Just be careful not to delete the Smarty folder

• Options

Nope - same problem even with the files deleted. I tried in IE and FF

• Options
    edited April 2015

This is ridiculous. I can edit every other category just fine but this goes to a 410 page. The post counts don't change when I undelete posts in that category. I can't delete it, it's just stuck there. I've deleted the ini files it did nothing. Do I really need to delete everything and start from scratch?!?! When I try at overwrite it with one the same name this software says it's already in use. I've disabled every plugin except the refreshcounts

• Options

Do I really need to delete everything and start from scratch?!?!

No, it is likely a bug you discovered. You can always delete it from the database .

• Options

Yeah I'm in there right now but I can't for the life of me see the structure, what to delete and where from

• Options
    edited April 2015

Ok look for GDN_Category table in mysql database on the left side panel

But before that go to the category and find it's ID number by inspecting the source with a web inspector .. It will make it easier to find in the database because it is stored with an ID Number. It has the description so that can also help identify the category in question. In case you had 200 categories. But all the info about them is in that page.

Select Category Id and click browse to go to the page that houses the categories. There you can delete them or edit them

• Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options

Vrijvlinder, veel bedankt (thank you soooo much) for taking the time and trouble to document all this. As it transpires it wasn't useful to me - I deleted the whole thing and reinstalled it to fix this problem but I hope it's useful to someone else.

I'm starting to think that perhaps vanilla isn't for me with the amount of bugs. This morning, whilst I'm able to log in fine at home, at work pressing on "SIGN IN" on IE does nothing at all. It works on chrome and I signed in there. Now changing the theme to see if that's the problem changes it in chrome but IE doesn't change. I've done my share of website stuff and my experience is telling me that something that causes this many problems on day 1 might not be worth comitting to. I'll play with it today and see if this nologin thing maybe my fault, but if I can't find some error on my part I suspect it's time to find something else :(

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2015

Is your category name a number? Are you talking about status codes? It is not clear.

Vanilla doesn't explicitly use 410, so the handling of that at least is on the server level.

grep is your friend.

• Options

I am sorry you are having problems. But I assure you that you will not find easier software than this to work with.

It only takes a couple tries to get it to work if you failed at first. Once you get more familiar it becomes second nature.