Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Display Name vs Username on discussion/post/comment attribution

fienenfienen Pittsburg, KS New

I'm not entirely sure if this is a theme issue, or a general settings issue, so forgive me if it's the latter (or an issue of confusion on my part). I'm trying to sort out how to make discussions show the author's display name, rather than their username. I say this, having migrated from a bbPress site, and I'm not actually sure if the display name field is standard with Vanilla, or if the importer created it when moving over user accounts. What info I've found in the forums makes me feel like this isn't actually a standard field, that the import might have brought it over.

The solutions out there all seem old, and mention conflicts with things like Gravatar and SSO and such, not to mention questions about compatibility with the lastest Vanilla. Is this something I'm just going to have to write a plugin to do, or am I missing something that should be staring me right in the face?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    fienenfienen Pittsburg, KS New

Yeah, so it sounds like I need to hook into the name display bits of the theme and tell it to use this other field instead. Good times. Thanks.