HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Idea] Panel display on responsive theme and Tabbed display

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

While using one of the responsive themes (vbs3) I noticed that the menu bar turns into the famous hamburger menu on my phone but not on my tablet (there the menu bar shows as it does on the desktop), but the panel does not show up on either mobile devices.
I think this behavior is reasonable (the panel takes up expensive screen real estate) and yet I'm not crazy about the loss of the panel functionality.

With that in mind I thought of two visual interaction solutions:
1. A special menu option under the hamburger menu that calls up the panel
2. Change of the main display area to a tabbed display where one tab is the panel and the other is the conversation (or whatever is the "main" content).

I like the second because it opens up the door to multiple tabs for different functions (tab for categories, tab for discussions, tab for conversations, maybe tab for filtered conversations, etc.).

On a related matter, it would be nice if on mobile devices one could swipe right and left between the tabs.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Options

You could try my MinusBaseline theme which puts the panel contents in the hamburger menu
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/minusbaseline-theme

As for tabs, this is simply a matter of presentation. You could put links to the main areas of the site in your themes header and style them to look like tabs.

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Hi @Bleistivt , will definitely try your theme later when I have a little more time. But by just looking at the images you provided (and the description, of course) I can tell it is cool!

I just posted another discussion about another idea - PM in the side panel. One of your images shows how conversations (Inbox) are shown in the side panel, except that this is not a plugin, so of course the screen was shot after the user clicked on the envelope icon... @Hgtonight indicated that to get the conversation automatically display in the side panel (desktop theme) would require a plugin with a few modules... I'm not sure I'm up to it but it was nice to see part of my vision in a screen image.