HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Flagging plugin translation

Hi

I'm new to Vanilla and I have some questions. We have translated Flagging plugin to Finnish (by creating folder plugins/Flagging/locale and file fi.php). This works fine for us, but I was wondering if we could contribute the translation somewhere? Vanilla uses Transifex system for localization, but Flagging plugins strings don't seem to be part of site_core module? Are they missing, or do plugins have a different system for handling localization? Is Flagging plugin part of vanilla core anyway? It's not listed in addons when searching the forum, and it seems to be included in the master branch of Vanilla by default.

Comments

• I think you are talking about GitHub. You can contribute there.
    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/releases/tag/Vanilla_2.1.11

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

@ytadvisors said:I think you are talking about GitHub.

Perhaps not.

actually he talking about the whole idea of transifexes and translations that are missing. concerning core plugins.

• what is the standard
    • meaning is lack of translations in transifex that relate to core plugins an oversight or purposeful
    • and he is seeking guidance from @Todd I believe.

Excellent question that needs clarification.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• This is one of the areas where a convention would be useful. Also namespace conventions, I sometime use a prefix for translations.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks for the replies. I think @peregrine summarized the problem quite well. I assume translations to core plugins should be added to site_core in Transifex, but like x00 mentioned, it might be useful to discuss some conventions first.

• @bodhi said:
    Thanks for the replies. I think peregrine summarized the problem quite well. I assume translations to core plugins should be added to site_core in Transifex, but like x00 mentioned, it might be useful to discuss some conventions first.

I don't think it is practical to have how a single core translation for all the extensions that people may or not use. This would bloat, despite usage and would be ungovernable. After all you wouldn't do such a thing for different applications.

It makes sense for the translation to be added the locale for the extension. I doesn't mean you can't integrate with transflex.

Just making it easier to to submit translation in general for different things would be a good thing.

If you take poplar framework like wordpress, they aren't responsible for translation of extensions submitted to the repo, but they do provide the convention for which to do it. There are pluigns which allow override of the locales of plugins, theme and core but separately.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

x00, if the 5 or 6 staff-created plugins is deemed important enough to come with the core download, it seems logical to include the translations in site core. and could conceivably considered not as bloat. In the same way conversations app is included, conversations might also be considered bloat in your parlance.

In any event lack of response by staff may make any discussion of this a moot point.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.