Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New AddOn: Invite Friends Extension

Comments

• Invite Friends shows up only when I click on the Account Tab.. Is there a way to show the Invite Friends on the main Left Column always? Thanks
  • You can edit the code easily enough if you look for the SelfURL declaration and then add index.php etc to the array there, but is this really something you'd want on every page of the forum? It really seems like something that'd be relatively limited use surely?
  • Take a look in config.php...

$InviteFriendsSettings['LinkInMainNavigation'] = false; // set to true if the link to the invite friend for should appear in the tab navigation
    But I think the account page is the best place for it.
  • Minisweeper is right, the code for the inclusion is in default.php below line 170.
    And think about other words twice..
  • Thanks I set $InviteFriendsSettings['LinkInMainNavigation'] = true; but I still see in the Account section not in every page. Anyway, that's fine. It's probably too much to ask. Thanks anyway, I appreciate the help. :)
  • I'm getting an error that says....Notice: Undefined variable: nr in forums/extensions/InviteFriends/default.php on line 144 Can't seem to get it fixed. Any ideas?
  • I just uploaded this. I've got all three php files in an InviteFriends directory in extensions. When I go to Settings>Extensions, I get this message: Some problems were encountered An error occurred while attempting to read the extension definition from InviteFriends Then I am unable to activate or deactivate any of the other extensions, when I try, I get: http://mormonmomma.com param: 'CategoryColourChanger' [changes depending upon which extension I'm trying to modify] OK http://mormonmomma.com reponse '<div class="Error">An error occurred while attempting to read the extension definition from InviteFriends</div>' http://mormonmomma.com Failed to modify extension. Sheesh, what'd I do now???
  • There's a file somewhere where you can manually disable extensions that do not work. Can't remeber where right now - not at home - but I'm sure someone else does.
  • I can just pull it off the server. But everyone else seems to have this working...
  • edit in conf/extensions.php
  • What should I edit in that file?
  • Remove the line that looks like:
    include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."InviteFriends/default.php");
  • That's a solution but it's not really *the* solution. This really needs troubleshooting. Can you check that the permissions on the invitefriends folder are correct? And that all the files inside are complete and havent been mucked up in transit somewhere?
  • Mary, I don't have that line in my extension.php folder. Minisweeper, I'm not sure how to check the permissions. As for seeing that the files are complete, I will download the extension again and replace it on the server with a new copy. I'll report back when I see if that helps.
  • @AllisonMooreSmith

This has nothing to do with the InviteFriends extension i think.
    param: 'CategoryColourChanger' [changes depending upon which extension I'm trying to modify]
    OK

If you got no
    include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."InviteFriends/default.php");

in your conf/extension.php the InviteFriends will not cause the bug.

reponse '
    An error occurred while attempting to read the extension definition from InviteFriends
    '
    seems that Vanilla can't read the description of the InviteFriends Extension. As minisweeper said, i might be problem with the file permissions inside th InviteFriends folder.
    Please check them.

Hope you get your forum work again.
  • Hmmm. I get an identical error when I try to activate or deactivate ANY extension--not just CCC, only (as I indicated above) that first error line changes to list the extension I clicked on. Sorry to be stupid, but can someone tell me how to check permissions?
  • Alison, it depends on the application or method you use to access the files on the server.
    I use an FTP application called Interarchy on Mac OS X.
    I simply do a "get info" on the file and adjust the checkboxes as shown below...

permissions

The file above is set to 644 or rw-r--r-- these are UNIX permissions.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, it's a little difficult without knowing more about your setup.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi Michael, Thank you for you job. 1. How to make that the user could not change a subject and a body of the message? 2. Can we set a limit for sending of invitations from one user during the session or an hour or a day? I think, that the user should fill only two fields 1. The friend's e-mail 2. Signature (name, nick or something like that) All other data should be read from his account profile (nick, name, e-mail for mail body text) and the letter must be send "from" forum e-mail (or forum support e-mail). Otherwise, nothing will prevent anybody to use extension as the form for sending offensive letters or for a little SPAM. It is a short way to put server in the black lists.
  • Hi Atas,

> 1. How to make that the user could not change a subject and a body of the message?
    And easy but dirty way is to change the template.php and make the Subject input file type="hidden". But this can be mainpulated.

> Otherwise, nothing will prevent anybody to use extension as the form for sending offensive letters or for a little SPAM. It is a short way to put server in the black lists.

That is definetly a problem. There need to be some changes in the default.php.