Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

User Access levels feature

Hello,

I am hoping to set up a forum using the vanilla forum technology, I am writing here to see if it has the features that I require for my project.

I would like to have users with different permissions granted access to different areas of the discussion board. For example one user might have access to forums one and two, but not three whilst another user might have access to forum two and three, but not forum one, the final user might only have access to forum two.

I would also quite like to know if a user could request permission to a forum they are at present unable to access.

If anyone could shed some light or point me in the direction of further information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Useraccess

Welcome to the community.

You can put users in groups, and group threads into categories, and then set custom permissions for categories via the dashboard, limiting access to specific groups.

For requesting permission, you could simply use the private message system, with each group of threads ahving a named user to PM.