Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Password protect the whole vanilla forum?

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is there an extension, or how would I go about password protecting the entire forum. So you not only have to be a member, but you have to know the main password to access the main forum page. Certified Noob here so please forgive if this is the easiest thing to accomplish.

Comments

• well you could make it so it is not veiwable to guests in application settings. Then the next thing you do is go to roles and permissions and set the level the applicants i think. That way you will have to approve them as members before they can see the forum. Which is pretty much what you want.
  • Easiest way I can think of is to do a search for http authentication with .htaccess, then throw that file into the vanilla directory.

It will prompt for a password then if that passes, go to the forum.
  • edited July 2006
    See the Access Control feature of apache.

However you can make your forum private without a global password. Go into setting > application and untick "Allow non-members to browse the forum"; Non-members will just see your sign-in pages.
  • blizeHblizeH ✭✭
    The best way to do this is just use Vanilla's own features imho. Make it so that only members can view the forum, and then make it so that you need to approve any new members, that way you can easily screen who can and can't see your site. Although I guess if you were planning on giving access to a load of people at once, a password would be preferable, but it might be a pain for you and them to have to type in a password everytime you want to go onto the forum :(
  • what does "imho" mean? I don't know what that stands for.
  • in my humble opinion
  • or in my honest opinion :P
  • How do I retreive a member's password if they can't remember it? Thanks
  • There is link to reset the password On the sign-in page,
  • Does this look normal? How do I fix this?
    This is when someone tries to reset their password.

• Have you changed your style or theme?
    Try to disable your extension...
This discussion has been closed.