Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Need help on 3 column layout theme

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm working on this 3-column layout. Quite easy. It displays the Panel Links on the left, and the Panel Strings on the right.

So far I got it working in Firefox:

But I can't get it to work in IE.

I have added the following CSS:
#Body { position: relative; } #Panel.PanelLeft { position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; width: 201px; padding-left: 18px; } #Panel.PanelRight { position: absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px; width: 220px; } #Content { margin:0px 235px 0px 235px; }

Check it out at: http://www.jazzman.nl/forum

Anyone got an idea?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2006
    have you implemented the box model hack? ps. try making the width of the left panel 220px as well
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I.E doesn't (always) like absolutely positioned elements when using right or bottom. You may want to try to float PanelRight.

Or do like I did and hack with a IE only feature:#Panel.PanelRight { position: absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px; /* Firefox positioning */ Left: expression(document.body.clientWidth-220); /* Propritary IE positioning */ width: 220px; }
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Jazzman, since you seem to be a theme/style/extension making MACHINE, I installed Wine and IE6 just so I could debug this CSS, because I really appreciate all the work you have put into Vanilla and the community.

This seems to work: (screenshot)

#Panel * { margin:0px; padding:0px; list-style:none; } .PanelLeft { position: absolute; left:18px; width:201px; } #Panel.PanelRight { position: absolute; top:0px; right:0px; width:220px; }

Make sure those are IN THAT ORDER, because it seems to make a difference.

and then finally, replace what's currently in the #content with this:
    #Content { padding-left:235px; margin-right:235px; }

It's ugly code, I know. But it seems to work. Hope I helped, and keep up the great work jazzman!
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Evdawg, i think u look more like a theme/style making machine to me, going as far as installing Wine and IE6 just to debug this CSS... good spirit there!
  • Options
    It works well in Safari, except the search page has the Advanced link overlapping the Guest welcome message.
  • Options
    @Evdawg: Thanks :) It now works on Firefix and IE.. dunno about other browsers :) Maybe Wanderer can check again. Oh, and yes, I haven't styled any other stuff, so the advanced link is still in the wrong position.
  • Options
    Any chance you will make it possible that the administrator can decide what content will go in which column?
  • Options
    You only have to change the included theme.php: just switch "PanelLeft" and "PanelRight" class and your done :)
  • Options
    Sorry can you please explain again how you get items into the right column? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.