Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Icon and Account picture should not be resized automatically

2»

Comments

• Options
    domdom
    edited July 2005
    Test page using purely CSS for the icons: http://evilstreak.co.uk/vanilla/

This deals with smaller icons (MrNase), the right size (lech), and oversized (Google). And when you disable CSS, you just don't see the icons.

The source is fairly self-explanatory. A couple of bits of the HTML are changed. and a couple of bits of CSS too. Most of the CSS in the test case is to make it look the default!

Thoughts?

edit: I have tested with FF and IE6, but not IE5 which is usually the problem child. It would probably just be a case of fixing up the box model, but would need testing.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    Looks good, dom, better than my initial hackery using the existing markup with only a few changes.
  • Options
    Actually, the test page not validating is my bad! I got lazy and just copied/pasted the comment block a couple of times, and didn't change the IDs, so it is upset that each is defined 3 times!

Underscores as well as dashes are fine for both IDs and classes.

I've fixed the test page now, must take more care in future.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    ok, edited that out. Ok, looks better, any chance of you knocking that together against the regular default style to prove it works :D
  • Options
    ithcyithcy New
    edited July 2005
    i don't think underscores are valid for names in CSS1. not that that matters practically, but they would choke a css1 validator, i guess
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    well, lussumo validates, I cocked up and validated something else on accident and it failed and I thought it was vanilla. So i take that back entirely.
  • Options
    Sure. I was thinking of getting a working install going, and hacking up the code to change it, but haven't due to the short tags issue I posted. I'll probably get it fixed up tomorrow, but at least we have proof of concept.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    just grab my html example and dump it into the base area that your vanilla install is located at. clean out my markup and replace with your example. nothing to it :D
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    // nm - I've got a solution
  • Options
    Edited posts get confusing as hell sometimes ^^

I like to just <del></del> what I wrote, so that you can still follow the flow.

Also, did this solution have anything to do with all the icons mysteriously disappearing?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    No. The problem was that you didn't account for the fact that not everyone has an icon - and those people would then have their name pushed to the right but no icon to the left - which looked wierd. I just changed your style a little bit. Have you noticed icons disappearing? That fix is in effect on this site right now, btw.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    i figured you were working behind the scenes there mark :)
  • Options
    sweetness
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw the icons not being there when I posted that.

Awesome, nicely done. So we have proper sized icons now, what fun!
  • Options
    would it still be possible to make the user icons clickable? like in the test example posted above?
  • Options
    BenBen
    edited July 2005
    how do we impliment this fix on our own copies of Vanilla?
    will we have to wait untill the next version?
This discussion has been closed.