Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Top Menu

The top menu bar (see image)
Couple of questions
Can I move my custom link to the beginning ie before discussion
Can I add a grey background that goes behind the menu items ?
The Logo at the top right - were can I set the url for that

Thanks in advance

Regards
John B

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Please take the time to read the tutorials that come with it. Or try to find a custom theme that look like what you need until you learn how to use a web inspector and edit css.

• err thanks, I have spent ages with the tutorials - hence I asked

If that was accurate, you would know that the Banner link is set in the dashboard.
    The rest are css questions and you should learn how to inspect the code using a web inspector or use a custom theme that looks like what you want .

• hmm well I have read http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/configuration/banner/ and I simply cant see anything about changing the URL for the banner Image ?

Did you see the video tutorial that comes with vanilla in the dashboard?

Do you have access to the dashboard ? Do you know what the dashboard is?
    If you are admin of your forum, you should be able to go in the dashboard by clicking the link in the menu or the memodule and look at all the settings and change the settings.

I would even guess it is under the link called Banner, where you can also add a favicon and a title for your forum.

• "I would even guess it is under the link called Banner, where you can also add a favicon and a title for your forum."

the attached image shows there is no area to add the url ?

hmm.png 95.6K

The link is added by the theme based on the theme and your installation location automatic . Look inside the theme default.master.tpl and add it if it is not there. If you are using the default theme, you need a custom theme or to create a tpl for this one. Get a custom theme

• so after all the criticism **" If that was accurate, you would know that the Banner link is set in the dashboard, Did you see the video tutorial that comes with vanilla in the dashboard?

Do you have access to the dashboard ? Do you know what the dashboard is?
    If you are admin of your forum, you should be able to go in the dashboard by clicking the link in the menu or the memodule and look at all the settings and change the settings.

I would even guess it is under the link called Banner, where you can also add a favicon and a title for your forum."**

It was not actually were you said.
    Such is life

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@johnberman

If you are looking to make more than very minor css changes (and you seem now to be in that position) it really would benefit you to get to grips with how custom themes work.

Take a look at the community wiki:

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/A_Quick-Start_Guide_to_Creating_Themes

Issues of colour, font etc are normally resolved via css - hence the value in knowing how to use a web inspector.

Elements such as menu items (and banner url link) are dealt with in the default.master.tpl of a custom theme.

You are likely to get more specific help if you start by trying to help yourself, and then saying if you get stuck, including what you tried to do.

We're a helpful bunch, but when you've been around a while (I just got my 5 year badge - how did that happen?) you see that questions get asked repeatedly, even when you know that the same question has been previously resolved in another thread.

Have a search on here, look at the community Wiki, have a go with a web inspector - you'll be impressed how quickly you can work out how to help yourself (and others, if you stick around.)

• Thank You