Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Permissions based on profile info

Hey,

Is it possible to have permissions granted to people based on their profile info?

The problem I am trying to solve is the following:
We have a community with different subgroups. I'd like to grant or deny access to parts of the forum and categories based on membership of these subgroups.

The solution I came up with was: Have members who register choose from a drop-down menu to which subgroup they belong and the forum will make sure they have the proper access rights.

Is this feasible? Or is there another/better way to deal with permissions, new members and the groups they belong to?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is an old plugin that would enable you to do so, but since it overwrites views, it most certainly will not work (or should not be used) with the current version: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/registrationrole-plugin

My personal opinion is that allowing users to choose which access level they have is not worth building any access structure at all. But maybe I just misunderstood what you are trying to do.

But when you are thinking about groups, you might be interested in this: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30606/crowd-funding-groups-add-on#latest

• doschdosch New
    edited April 2016

So what is the best way you think to grant new users acces to some content and not to other content?

Can I, for example, exclude users from seeing (even knowing about the existing) of a category for moderator discussion?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Yes, that's easy. Go to the dashboard, create a new category and check the "Custom Permissions" check box. Afterwards you can uncheck the all check boxes under all roles except moderators and admins.

• Perfect! Would be even greater if I can base permissions on the form field, but for now this is enough for my goals.

Thank you for your time and help