Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6.1 is here with critical security patches. One of them has been publicly disclosed.

transfer

My forum is broken can I transfer users from a forum to another one with ftp? Please tell me how.
I'm in panic please I don't want to lose my users

Comments

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    I explained that on the other discussion. Your users are saved in the database you created when you installed this software. You can use the same database, just overwrite the files with a fresh vanilla from here.

    Delete the .ini files from the cache. Starting many discussions is not going to help your issue. You need the proper tools to work with this. And to understand some coding and how vanilla works.

    If you do not read the documentation, you will continue to have the same problems.

    data66
  • @vrijvlinder said:
    I explained that on the other discussion. Your users are saved in the database you created when you installed this software. You can use the same database, just overwrite the files with a fresh vanilla from here.

    Delete the .ini files from the cache. Starting many discussions is not going to help your issue. You need the proper tools to work with this. And to understand some coding and how vanilla works.

    If you do not read the documentation, you will continue to have the same problems.

    Oh so I don't need to do anything just install vanillaforums again?

  • RedWulfRedWulf New
    edited July 2016

    @RedWulf said:

    @vrijvlinder said:
    I explained that on the other discussion. Your users are saved in the database you created when you installed this software. You can use the same database, just overwrite the files with a fresh vanilla from here.

    Delete the .ini files from the cache. Starting many discussions is not going to help your issue. You need the proper tools to work with this. And to understand some coding and how vanilla works.

    If you do not read the documentation, you will continue to have the same problems.

    Oh so I don't need to do anything just install vanillaforums again?

    Nevermind it says there's an application instance installed on that link
    Also I tried doing it on sbforums.esy.es/forum2
    It didn't work :( I guess I will need to start everything over
    I tried installing it on 3 links different it simply doesn't work >:(

  • RedWulfRedWulf New
    edited July 2016

    @vrijvlinder said:
    I explained that on the other discussion. Your users are saved in the database you created when you installed this software. You can use the same database, just overwrite the files with a fresh vanilla from here.

    Delete the .ini files from the cache. Starting many discussions is not going to help your issue. You need the proper tools to work with this. And to understand some coding and how vanilla works.

    If you do not read the documentation, you will continue to have the same problems.

    Hmm I deleted the cache .ini files only .gitkeep is remaining there and it says something about MySQL is full when I try to install vanilla on that page sorry for alot of comments im kinda dumb and starting now on website creation and english is a bit hard still thanks for helping I'll be awaiting for your answners

  • Just jumping in a sec with a tip. We all started where you are, not knowing what we are doing as we all had to learn. You are not dumb, you are learning and asking for help. :) It'll get easier as you learn.

    I suggest making a development site for testing plugins and changes. This way, your live site remains untouched until you test something. Test things on your development site. If it breaks, no harm as you can just make a new one if you can't fix it. If the plugin or change works fine on your development site, then you can put it on the main site AFTER you make a backup of the main site. Never do any changes on a live site until you have a full backup of the files and database as a precaution.

    As it sounds like you are on shared hosting, you would want to get a pc as soon as you can, so you can make a local development site (it's not hard to do with some practice). For now, since your main site is small, you should be able to make a development site on your server just for now. You would make a subfolder on the server (yoursite.com/subfolder) and install vanilla in that for development.

    Sorry, I would post in your language but I only know English. Hope this post helps you or maybe someone can translate it for you.

    R_JBleistivthgtonight
  • @data66 said:
    Just jumping in a sec with a tip. We all started where you are, not knowing what we are doing as we all had to learn. You are not dumb, you are learning and asking for help. :) It'll get easier as you learn.

    I suggest making a development site for testing plugins and changes. This way, your live site remains untouched until you test something. Test things on your development site. If it breaks, no harm as you can just make a new one if you can't fix it. If the plugin or change works fine on your development site, then you can put it on the main site AFTER you make a backup of the main site. Never do any changes on a live site until you have a full backup of the files and database as a precaution.

    As it sounds like you are on shared hosting, you would want to get a pc as soon as you can, so you can make a local development site (it's not hard to do with some practice). For now, since your main site is small, you should be able to make a development site on your server just for now. You would make a subfolder on the server (yoursite.com/subfolder) and install vanilla in that for development.

    Sorry, I would post in your language but I only know English. Hope this post helps you or maybe someone can translate it for you.

    Dont worry i can understand most of it welp i guess i have to start over thank all of you guys anyway :)

    data66
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2016

    @RedWulf

    I fixed your website http://sbforums.esy.es/forum

    The problem was many things were missing namely the Library folder and the conf contents were mistakenly moved into another folder. This is the result of a bad installation. You will need to re enable some plugins and also the settings.

    It seems to work now. I loaded it with several themes and some plugins you might like. Please use caution when installing plugins that might break your forum.

    Thanks for trusting me with your ftp login credentials. Enjoy your forum !!

    RedWulfhgtonightdata66River
  • @vrijvlinder said:
    @RedWulf

    I fixed your website http://sbforums.esy.es/forum

    The problem was many things were missing namely the Library folder and the conf contents were mistakenly moved into another folder. This is the result of a bad installation. You will need to re enable some plugins and also the settings.

    It seems to work now. I loaded it with several themes and some plugins you might like. Please use caution when installing plugins that might break your forum.

    Thanks for trusting me with your ftp login credentials. Enjoy your forum !!

    Thank you

    vrijvlinderhgtonightdata66
Sign In or Register to comment.